Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Milk Consistency

Default Breast Milk Consistency

I have to wean early due to an eye condition that requires meds that I've already been off of way to long. Anyway I have frozen 2000 oz of milk which we are just now starting to use. My LO is 4 months old and is at a good weight and his only issue is that he doesn't want to nap during the day and ends up fussy throughout the day. We are trying reflux meds b/c he is showing lots of symptoms, anyway.....I'm wondering if the consistency of the breast milk changes as my LO gets older then what does that mean for the frozen milk from the first few months? Would I need to give more milk or would he take the same oz. I'm assuming I will just follow his lead the give him the amount he wants, but I'm just curious if anyone has dealt with this. I know that normally breastfed babies wait to have solids introduced at 6 months, but if the consistency isn't as filling would we need to go ahead with cereal earlier or just give more milk.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Breast Milk Consistency

Actually my first thought is are you sure you have to wean? Most doctors are very conservative/poorly informed when it comes to breastfeeding and medications. Thier defalt way of dealing with it is to tell you to wean. I would encourage you if you haven't already to research your med very well on your own before just taking the doctor's word for it. This link has some more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.html
    as for the amount that he will need you are right in thinking that you will just need to follow his lead to let you know. This link has some more info on bottle feeding the breastfed baby.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I have to take 15,000 IU of Vitamin A plus 12 mg of Lutein--
    It's because of the Vitamin A that I have to stop--this amount stops the my vision from decreasing so yes unfortunately I have to wean and should have done it a while ago but I'm procrastinating. My dr. got onto me today so I'm in the process of gradually weaning.

Oh and thanks for the second link

Thats rough. The only other suggestion I have is (knowing next to nothing about Vitamin A) are you taking the large dose all at once? or spread out over the day? If you are taking it all at once it might be possible to hold on to the nursing right before you take it depending on how long it stays in BM- again not real sure. If you have an Amazon account you can look at most pages of the book Medications and Mother's milk by Dr Hale- he might have some info on it in there about half lives and such. Hang in there momma- you have done an awesome thing by providing your LO with BM for this long.
    Jessica

Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.

with the PP regarding the Hale book. There might be a way around this.

If not, I would not worry about the consistency change- yes, breastmilk does change over time but even if your baby isn't getting the "ideal" milk for his age it still beats formula. I think that as long as you follow your LO's lead, you'll do fine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! I have actually talked with a lactation consultant and she posted this on Dr. Hale's site---he basically said there is no research on Vitamin A and anything over 4,000 IUs is considered toxic and will come through in breast milk but the amounts are undetermined. I take it all at one time and I had to obviously be off of it throughout the pregnancy. I have been getting most of the vitamin A through my diet but I'm starting to see a decrease in vision so I have to stop unfortunately. There is a research going on at John Hopkins about this particular issue. Basically the researcher I talked to said breastfeeding will take more from my vision than the pregnancy because I am substantiating a life. He advised me to see a nutritionist which I did and to only breastfeed for a minimal time. He also said to stay as stress free as possible--ha -- that is difficult. Anyway I start back to work (teaching at a low income school) in Aug. and I decided I delayed long enough and that the work environment in it self was too stressful. Thanks for the advice, it is actually nice to spill this out...I've felt extremely guilty about quitting but my ped. told me that it would be better to see my son grow up and that I have already compromised my vision enough. I've shed many tears.....

Mama, don't feel guilty about having to quit!!! You've obviously sacrificed a lot to get to this point. You have a legitimate medical reason to stop, and that's a whole different animal from a mama who quits because formula is easier or because she wants a night on the town.

Your baby needs you to be healthy for him. IMHO, that's more important than nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, don't feel guilty about having to quit!!! You've obviously sacrificed a lot to get to this point. You have a legitimate medical reason to stop, and that's a whole different animal from a mama who quits because formula is easier or because she wants a night on the town.

Your baby needs you to be healthy for him. IMHO, that's more important than nursing.
    Jessica

Thanks for the encouraging words. It sucks to quit---bottles are awful!