Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged milk duct and hurting while breastfeeding

Default Clogged milk duct and hurting while breastfeeding

I guess my first question is how do you know if you have a clogged milk duct? I think I have one. There is an area on my breast that feels much harder than the rest of my breast, even after my son has finished breastfeeding (he is 2-1/2 months old now). I have been putting him on that breast even more than usual yesterday to try to get the milk to flow again. I thought it was better because it's not as hard anymore. However, now everytime he breastfeeds it REALLY hurts. Does this mean that this breast is still clogged? Please help! If it is still clogged what else can I do to fix this problem? I have tried to pump but that doesn't seem to help; besides I don't want to pump too much because I don't want to start producing even more milk (I already seem to have an overabundance of milk). Thanks for any help that you can give me.
    First-time mommy to Danielle 8/16/07
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01

Default Re: Clogged milk duct and hurting while breastfeeding

This link has some more info on clogged ducts
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html
    One thing that you can do is to massage the area while your LO is nursing and to try warm compresses on the area while massaging. That may help to clear it out.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

massage, heat, warm shower and nurse, nurse, nurse! hand express some while focusing on the spot that seems clogged. They can hurt really bad while nursing. the pp posted a good link. Kellymom.com has wonderful info.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Thanks for the info. Has anyone used lecithin (which was in the article)? If so, has this helped?
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01

I took lecithin from the time I first heard about it until my baby was six months or so? I had chronic, chronic clogged ducts, mostly caused by oversupply. I think it helped. After I started taking it regularly, I only had a handfull more clogs and they all resolved quickly. However, it's impossible to say - at the same time, I was getting my oversupply under control, which definitely helped too! Still, I didn't find it was that expensive for a big bottle, so why not try it?

My favorite clog-busting method was getting into a hot bath (often with some kosher salt or epsom salt sprinkled in, for antibacterial effect), and massage the heck out of the clogged spot. It hurts!!! But this REALLY helps. Then I would also massage the spot when I nursed, and if necessary, finish emptying the breast with the pump and massaging (note: this is not such a great idea if you have oversupply, because it can aggravate it, but ... well, sometimes you need extreme measures).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am taking Lecithin!
    I had a clogged duct when my LO was about 2.5, and wonderful LLLadies helped me with advice.
    So, I nursed non-stop pretty much. I also pumped, and took a lot of really hot showers. Then I saw that there was a little white spot on my nipple, so I went to a LC who took a needle and basically opened it up. It was a little milk blister.
    It hurt to nurse, it really did for about a week on that side. But then it got better and I've been takign Lecithin ever since and didn't have another clogged duct (knocking on wood).
    I also ended up with mastitis on the other side around the same time. Super high fever and all. Be very careful and nurse as much as you possibly can.
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Sounds like a clog to me! They can be extremely painful. I suffered from A LOT of plugs with DD, especially in her first 9 mo. of life. What I learned was heat and lots of nursing. I used a rice sock, stuck it in the microwave and put that on my breast before, during and after nursing. It really helped! Pumping rarely did much. I was lucky to get a drop or two out when I had a bad plug. I'm telling you, heat, nurse, heat, nurse. It will unclog. Just be persistent.

The first time I had one that's pretty much what it felt like. I used a wash cloth in the shower, got it wet with the hot water and pressed it to the area, I also massaged that breast for a while. I think it took a couple days. Good luck.
    Aedan's mommy since 12/09
    Let me get up on my I'm a , ,,, , milk donating, attachment parenting mama! And we wouldn't have it any other way!

Thanks everyone for all of your help! I am going to start taking Lecithin. The dosage that I found online is 3-4 tablets daily. Does that sound correct? Hopefully I'll be able to reduce that dosage once my symptoms go away. Thanks again everyone!
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01