Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc says baby is anemic?

Default Doc says baby is anemic?

Today was Michael's 11 month well baby visit. Doctor took blood and the result say that Michael is slightly anemic. He gave me a prescription for infant multivitamin with iron. Would love to hear from some moms with this experience or thoughts. Michael has been breastfed since birth, no formula, and is eating solids very well. Still nursing strong too.

Dee

Default Re: Doc says baby is anemic?

Has she been sick at all? I know when Thomas' iron is low almost always has a virus?

No, he hasn't been sick a day in his little life thank God. He eats mostly table food, so he gets a variety of nutrition. Could it be a result of lack of iron in me?

Could be, they store up Iron while we are pregnant so if you were ever anemic then that could make since? I do not think that there is any harm in giving the vitamins. I would also try to give more iron rich foods? Would that be red meat? You could also have them retest just to make sure that it was not an "off" day?

If you were anemic during pregnancy, it's possible. Most babies get enough iron in utero to last 6-12 months depending on the baby. Some babies run out faster than others and may not be able to make it up with food easily. From what I've read, iron is not something that will easily pass on to the baby in milk.

My DS was a preemie, so he was not in utero long enough to get a lot of iron. He's on iron drops 3 times a day and so far, so good. His appetite and his sleep habits have improved. The vitamin/iron mix is supposed to be better at helping the system absorb the iron (especially vitamin C). Since my DS needs so much iron, I give him a separate vitamin.

To be fair though, there is a debate about whether iron supplementation is best for babies versus modified diet. kellymom has some good info on anemia, including a list of high iron foods. You may want to compare it what you're feeding your LO.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

I had my babies 4 month appointment today and i was told to start her on viatimin drops for her iron 1 ml a day. All becasue i am not gonna start her on cereal or solids yet.

That is very controversial. LLL says that the full term infants usually does not need any supplementation of any kind until at least the middle of the first year. I would encourage you to ask for a blood test to check his iron levels if they think that they may be low...

At my sons 9 month wcc he was 10.6 for iron so they gave me the iron drops, but after researching for myself I decided to give him more via table food. Along with lots of breastmilk I just make sure to give him lots of spinach, beans, squash, tuna and red meat along with tomatoes or fruits high in vit c cause that helps to absorb the iron. At his 12 month checkup he was at 11.6 and has been over 11 since( he is now 19 months) without any iron drops. Good luck to all you and yours

there are some other post on the forum about low lron.
    try the starting solids page... I'll try and find them and bump them up.

I didn't have much luck finding anyting they must have been older then what I figured and I only have a few mins on line right now.
    My dd had low iron.
    Anyways dr sears has some good info about iron on his web site.
    why you need iron and how to get more into the baby.
    WE got some iron drops at the health food store that were made from plants instead of the chemical kind from the formula company. That helped my dd very quickly get higher finger prick levels.
    are they going to recheck the babies level soon?
    at 11 months you could try and push meats, they are almost all high in iron.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/
    http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/ci3.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/search.asp
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; October 10th, 2006 at 06:58 AM.

For the OP--I think in your decision of how to proceed you would want to consider exactly what the doc means by "slightly anemic". I believe there has been some research to show that even mild anemia can be detrimental down the road in terms of learning and health, so I'd think you'd want to do *something*. However, whether you choose to use supplements or to try to address the problem through changes in diet may depend on how low your baby's levels actually are, and on his eating habits and your choices for his diet. I believe the normal levels for the hemoglobin test are 10.5-14, (I'm not sure about this though so I'd double check what the actual normal range is), so if your baby is just "borderline" you may be able to easily address it with diet. If his levels are lower you may decide a supplement is a better choice. In terms of diet, meat sources of iron or more easily absorbed by the body than plant sources. If your baby doesn't like meat, or you prefer a vegetarian diet, you may need to add more of those plant sources of iron to see a change.

For blinkinmapple- This is what the Breastfeeding Answer Book says about iron/anemia in infants: "The healthy, full-term baby has ample iron stores at birth, which are enough to last for at least the first six months of life, when combined with the iron he receives from human milk. Although the amount of iron in human milk is small, it is well-absorbed--between 20 and 40 percent, as opposed to the 4 percent absorbed from iron-fortified formula....One study of breastfed babies not given iron supplements or iron-fortified cereal found that those who were exclusively breastfed for seven months or longer had significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one and two years than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months."

Personally, I wouldn't give a supplement unless there was a medical indication to do so (i.e. baby was premature or sick, a test indicated a need, etc.) Of course that is a personal decision, but I think many doctors recommend the suupplements based either on outdated information or on a "just in case" basis, when it may not actually be necessary.
    Last edited by llmommy; October 10th, 2006 at 07:18 AM. Reason: fix typo