Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby super interested in food

Default Baby super interested in food

My LO is only 4 months old (today, actually

Over the past couple of days he became super interested in food that we eat.
    I have been offering him foods - mostly fruit such as apricots - to touch, and he does try to bring it to his mouth but doesn't try to bite or anything like that. He just sort of licks at them (so not getting anything, its a whole apricot).

Now, yesterday I was eating gooseberries and was holding a half of one to his mouth to see what he would do. He started licking it and sucking on it and holding my hand so I don't move it away! Now, when he sits on my lap at mealtimes, he grabs my hand with both of his and takes it to his mouth deliberately. He tried some blueberry like that today.

I don't think he is getting any nutrition out of it, just a bit of a taste since he is licking the surface. Now, should I stop letting him do that?

I don't think he is ready for solids. He did loose the tongue-thrust reflex, and he chews on our fingers and washcloths and soft toys, but he cannot sit up well by himself yet and he is just starting to develop the pincer grasp, but he is nowhere near fully developed yet.

What should I do now? Since he is so interested, should I just give him baby spoons or something to play with? Maybe give him a sippy cup with EBM so he can play with that as well? Should I make sure he doesn't get any licks of fruit anymore? Or is it ok for him, since he is not really getting any food but is just learning the flavors?
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: Baby super interested in food

Interested doesn't = ready...but I'm sure you know that

Can you get some popsicle molds and freeze some EBM to make some "momsicles"? You can hold with one hand and let him lick/slurp on it, and that may satisfy his curiosity for now. Soon enough, he'll be ready!!! Just a few more months
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

At that age I gave baby an empty bowl and a spoon to play with while the rest of us were eating. Baby loved it.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    At that age I gave baby an empty bowl and a spoon to play with while the rest of us were eating. Baby loved it.
    bowls, cups and spoons were all hits at 4 months
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

OK, we will try the bowls and spoons I think I will also start giving him a sippy cup to play with - maybe put an oz or so of breast milk there
    Momsicles won't work for us, my baby cannot stand milk that is not warm.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    This didn't work for us. My little guy would grunt/scream in frustration and throw it! A sippy cup with breastmilk helped though.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Sippy cups seems to be a huge hit with us
    He is playing with it, also playing with little plastic spoons (mostly trying to stick them up his nose , and is really watching us intently and trying to mimic us! Its super cute

Also, he always takes the spoon with his left hand! I'm a lefty; is he just mimicing me, or could it be a sign that he is going to be left handed as well?
    Doesn't matter, just curious!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elesha View Post
    Also, he always takes the spoon with his left hand! I'm a lefty; is he just mimicing me, or could it be a sign that he is going to be left handed as well?
    Doesn't matter, just curious!
    Could be mimicking or he could be a lefty. My friend with a degree in early childhood development told me kids don't determine handedness until they are 2 or 3, before that they switch back and forth. I don't know if that's really the case or not though. Nora mostly used her right hand from a very young age.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous