Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need encouragement/help!

Unhappy Need encouragement/help!

I have tried everything I can ... I am lost, confused and in need of encouragement/help.

I am trying to increase my supply and spent the entire weekend BF and pumping. When I BF DS, he sounds like he is getting more milk. He has more swallowing and even some gulping. That makes me think my supply is increasing but when I pump I am not pumping any more. Help! Is it possible my supply is increasing but I can't pump more?

Default Re: Need encouragement/help!

How old is you little one? Is is possible you're in the midst of a growth spurt and LO is eating up all your milk right now? That could definitely explain not being able to pump more. I pump as well and I swear everytime I think I've gotten a head start (even a small one) on my little guy's eating habits it seems like he wants more.

Quote Originally Posted by doctoramber View Post
    I am trying to increase my supply and spent the entire weekend BF and pumping. When I BF DS, he sounds like he is getting more milk. He has more swallowing and even some gulping. That makes me think my supply is increasing but when I pump I am not pumping any more. Help! Is it possible my supply is increasing but I can't pump more?
    The pump is not always a good indicator of milk supply. This is especially true for someone who's nursing full time.

Why do you think your supply needs to be increased?

If you really feel that you need to pump then don't give up. I have always tried waiting 30 minutes to an hour after my twins BF. I usually only get a couple of ounces in 10 minutes pumping. Good luck. Sounds like baby is getting plenty of milk. How are diapers...wet/dirty?

LO is 7 weeks old. I lost most of my supply during the first week becuase he was jaundiced. When I went to see the LC, he only ate 1oz in 30 minutes of feeding. Not enough wet diapers so I was told my supply was low and I needed to supplement. I am trying to increase my supply to BF exclusively. I would like to be able to pump enough for bottles while I am at work.
    Last edited by doctoramber; October 10th, 2006 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added info

at 7 weeks your baby is still little and there is hope you could make more milk.
    Don't be afraid to call your local lll leader. She could help you with your goal of getting the baby off the formula.
    Your baby might grow a little and get beter at nursing.
    How often was the baby nursing?
    Some newborns need to nurse all the time to get the milk they need in the 1st few weeks as many as 12 times in 24 hours.

I had to bf my twins every hr toward the evening time at around 4 wks. I thought I was never going to have enough milk. Your body needs time to know that it needs a certain amount. It is very commom for babies to go through growth spurts at around 6 wks and other times so you might think thier not getting enough but they will and your body is learning the whole BFing process too. BF every hr. if you can.