Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still not enough/dry night diapers--what else can I do?

Default still not enough/dry night diapers--what else can I do?

I have a few questions: I have a 9 week old daughter that weighed 4 lbs 14 oz at birth, dropped to 4lbs 7 oz. She is now just over 8 lbs. I bf, pumped, supplemented and used the nipple shield. I am currently taking fenugreek. Apparently gnc is out of mother's milk--I tried two separate stores. Anyway, I know my milk is still on the low side because if she wants to nurse every hour or even two, she is not getting anything and I end up giving her pumped bm or formula. I bf about every 3-4 hours for about 30-40 minutes (combination of both sides) which is considerably better than the 10 minutes she had been nursing for up until last week when I started pumping to get the milk to let-down for her. (1) Should I try to nurse her after an hour even though I know there is nothing there and it makes her mad--to try to increase the milk or should I just give her the supplemented milk? By the way, I have never gotten over 2 oz of pumped milk, although it has increased just this week. I am still trying to wean her off the nipple shield, but she isn't very happy about it. (2) Also, should I still be pumping after every feeding? I stopped when she started actually nursing (longer than 5 min each side). (3) Is it normal for a 2 month old to go the entire night without a wet diaper? For the past 2-3 nights she has gone 10-12 hours without a drop, but she is soaked during every change during the day and has a bm everyday. Please help!!! Ps. What does dd mean?
    Bella's mommy

Default Re: still not enough/dry night diapers--what else can I do?

Welcome Tina !

Quote Originally Posted by Tina Uresti View Post
    I have a few questions: I have a 9 week old daughter that weighed 4 lbs 14 oz at birth, dropped to 4lbs 7 oz. She is now just over 8 lbs.
    That's great! It sounds like you and your little girl have come a long way in nine weeks.

Anyway, I know my milk is still on the low side because if she wants to nurse every hour or even two, she is not getting anything and I end up giving her pumped bm or formula.
    It is completely normal for a nine week old baby to want to nurse every 1-2 hours. Most babies go through a growth spurt at the 8-9 week mark, so they may nurse "all the time" and never seem satisfied. Breastfeeding works within the law of "supply and demand"...the more baby nurses, the more milk you will make.

(1) Should I try to nurse her after an hour even though I know there is nothing there and it makes her mad--to try to increase the milk
    Yes! If she is still not satisfied after nursing as long as she wants to, you could then offer the supplimental milk. Have you considered using an SNS? This is a tool that allows baby to nurse at the breast and receive supplimental milk at the same time. Many moms find it to be helpful.

By the way, I have never gotten over 2 oz of pumped milk, although it has increased just this week.
    That actually sounds like a pretty decent amount of milk to me. Breastfed newborns do not typically consume the 8 oz bottles we are accustomed to seeing formula fed babies eat. They generally take is smaller quantities more frequently. Also, babies are far better at removing milk from the breast than pumps are. It is not uncommon for moms with normal milk supplies to not be able to pump much.

I am still trying to wean her off the nipple shield, but she isn't very happy about it.
    This can take time. Be patient with yourself and your baby.

(2) Also, should I still be pumping after every feeding? I stopped when she started actually nursing (longer than 5 min each side).
    That is completely up to you. Other mamas on this board who have btdt (been there done that) can hopefully tell you their experiences with this. If you are allowing baby to nurse as much as she want to, you probably don't have to. It certainly can't hurt, though.

(3) Is it normal for a 2 month old to go the entire night without a wet diaper? For the past 2-3 nights she has gone 10-12 hours without a drop, but she is soaked during every change during the day and has a bm everyday. Please help!!!
    Some babies do "hold it" all night long and then do a big pee...or three...upon waking. Is baby nursing during the night? How many times? How soon after waking up in the morning does baby pee? Is that first diaper really soaked? 6-8 wet cloth diapers/ 5-6 really wet disposables are a good indicator that baby is getting enough to eat...no matter what time of day they happen. Is that daily bm a big one?

It sounds to me like you are doing a great job increasing your milk supply. Breastfeeding can be challenging when you get off to a rough start, but you seem to be handling things quite well. Keep up the good work! Things will get easier if you keep at it.

Take Care,

Tiana

p.s.- dd=dear daughter