Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old barely eating

Default 10 month old barely eating

Norah is is almost 11 months. She has had a low grade fever since Friday evening (100.3 or lower via armpit) that goes away with Motrin. She has very mild diarrhea, a very tiny amount with each diaper change. I am pretty confident this is just a viral thing that will go away on its own. My husband is a physician (not pediatrics though) and he is comfortable with the watch and wait approach.
    My problem is she is not showing much interest in nursing. She will nurse throughout the night but is barely eating bm during the day. It is hard to tell if she is wetting since she has the diarrhea but I am sure she is peeing less because she hasn't had any soaked diapers in a few days. I am offering water with just a splash of juice or hemp milk so she can get some fluids. She will not drink pumped breastmilk (sick or well). She is allergic to dairy and I am not comfortable with giving her soy, which is why she is not offered formula. When I put her to my breast she clamps her mouth shut or if I force it she bites (ouch). I know she is not dehydrated, her capillary refill is fine, her eyes look fine, her soft spot is fine, and she does have tears. She is eating solids fine. She is not drinking a significant amount of liquid from the bottle, maybe 4 ounces max over the course of a day.
    In your opinion, why is she refusing to nurse during the day? When she cut her teeth (she has 4) she never acted like she didn't want to nurse. Today she seems a lot better, her fever is gone for the moment and she has not had Motrin since last night. She still has mild diarrhea but it is such a tiny amount each diaper change. But she still won't nurse. I don't think her ear is infected, I tug on them several times a day and she does not even flinch (she has had one ear infection and I could not even touch her ears). I cannot find our otoscope anywhere unfortunately.
    All I want to hear is she will start nursing again when she feels better, lol. I don't want her to self-wean, as I have heard happens. My oldest did not so this is very foreign to me. Thanks for any and all advice. I really don't want to drag the kids down to the doctor for him to tell me what I already know. Plus he is not an expert on bf.

Default Re: 10 month old barely eating

Something that came to mind is that it hurts to suckle? My LO did this and it turned out to be Hand Foot and Mouth. He had blisters on the roof of his mouth and it was painful to suckle at the breast. I gave him frozen Breasmilk in a mesh feeder to just suck/gnaw on and that worked really well. IDK. Other than that I have no idea. Hope she is feeling better soon mama!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I also wondered about it hurts to swallow. My ds had a sore throat recently, I could tell it was sore by the sound of his voice, and he did not want to nurse. I think it must have hurt to swallow, just like it would hurt if I had a sore throat. Good luck! It is so stressful when you aren't sure what is wrong!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Joe has refused to nurse when he had a sore throat, and when he had an ear infection he repeatedly bit me really hard, presumably becuase it messed up his latch? I would take her to the doctor, especially if she shows signs of dehydration, just to have the doc look at her ears and throat and rule out a bacterial thing. I've done this many times, and the doctor is really understanding. The one time I didn't do it, and decided to "wait and see," the poor kid had an ear infection and I felt horribly guilty for postponing the doctor's visit. So now I am probably overly cautious, but whatever.

Good luck, and hope the LO gets better soon!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

If she isn't showing signs of improvement, or if she shows signs of dehydration I'll bring her in to the doctor. I always take her when my husband says I should and so far he hasn't said to take her in. I am not necessarily worried about her, she is still playing and laughing. I just don't want my milk to dry up or for her to wean. I am putting her to the breast every half our or so but I haven't had either one fully drained in days. I guess I could pump and maybe if I mix it with hemp milk she'll be fooled.

I will have my husband look at her throat and roof of mouth tonight, see if there is anything going on in there.

I decided to pump both sides and now she is eating fine. I'm guessing she is feeling better. I hope my supply is not affected but at least she is eating.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Something that came to mind is that it hurts to suckle? My LO did this and it turned out to be Hand Foot and Mouth. He had blisters on the roof of his mouth and it was painful to suckle at the breast.
    mine had HFM disease and nursed a lot less. I would bet anything all of this is just due to the illness and she will pick it back up when she is feeling better. I say, keep offering frequently and let her nurse as much as she wants at night. I wouldn't worry about supplementing much with other fluids unless she is showing signs of dehydration or not having wet diapers at least every 6 hours (this was what my doctor said when I had taken my 9.5MO in for similar symptoms).

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09