Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low weight gain

Default Low weight gain

My son is 5 1/2 weeks old. Was 10lbs 5oz at birth. At 5 weeks he was 10lbs 14oz.

3 weeks prior he weighed 10lbs even. The pedi says this isnt enough of a weight gain. He wants to see at least 6.3oz a week.

I know I have a low supply, but I feed the baby ALL day. I dont know if I should stop the all day feedathons (trying to build supply by him sucking) or just supplement so he grows better. Someone told me because I had type 2 diabetes he may not have meant to be this big and would grow slower..

Im confused as what I should do, I want him to be healthy, but I dont want to deprive him. He always seems hungry, but I dont know if that is cuz he is use to sucking all day or if he is truly hungry.

Any help is appreciated

Default Re: Low weight gain

How is his diaper output? Wets and dirties? How much in a normal day?
    How long did you have an IV before birth? That will inflate the birth weight quite a bit. Was your blood sugar controlled during pregnancy? If so, he might have just been a big baby anyway. Some babies just like to suck all day. If he has a good latch he is helping boost your supply.
    From kellymom.com
    When do babies have growth spurts?

Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less). Babies don't read calendars, however, so your baby may do things differently.

Has he nursed constantly since birth or is it following the "normal" growth spurt times?
    If you feel that you must supplement, try your hardest to pump or hand express and offer breast milk.

You might try using an SNS to avoid nipple preference and stimulate supply at the same time as supplementation.
    If I were you I would also seek a second or third opinion of a pedi. Not all pedis are breastfeeding friendly or knowledgeable.

How is his diaper output? Wets and dirties? How much in a normal day?

I've always been rather confused on what proper output is. All I read is 2-4 tablespoons is normal. He has that amount 6-7 times a day on average. He has 2-4 poop diapers as well.

How long did you have an IV before birth?

I only had an IV about 2 hours before his birth, but I did have edema in my legs prior to him being born.

Was your blood sugar controlled during pregnancy?
    My blood sugar was not extremely high, but did range in the high 100s low 200s. I was hospitalized to get this under control at 33 weeks.

Has he nursed constantly since birth or is it following the "normal" growth spurt times?

He has been like this since birth for the most part. Although, he does sleep well at night. During the average time for growth spurts he seems more fussy.
    Last edited by @llli*irsheyez76; July 25th, 2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: forgot a question

Diaper output seems within the range of normal. He is sucking all day and has a good output. If he weren't getting enough milk, he wouldn't sleep well at night for you. IMO, everything seems ok. He is gaining, but it is slowly. I do not know if this is because of your diabetes, but it seems plausible.

BUMP! For more answers