Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help - flagyl and doxy while nursing

Default Please help - flagyl and doxy while nursing

My daughter has been nursing for 8 months and a few days now.

I have a *possible* uterine infection, though nothing really showed up on a pap I had done on 6/16. So they are just trying me on flagyl (metronidazole) and Doxycycline. My OB assured me that they are both just fine while breastfeeding. When I double checked online both of them were red flagged. I work at a hospital and our system said a big fat NO to either of them while nursing, though Doxy seemed the least bad. A nurse aquaintance said that it was the other way around and that flagyl was a L2 so it's safe and DOxy is NOT safe.

What the heck do I do??? It is a 14 day script for each and I only have 12oz saved up

Is it worse to give her those meds through my breastmilk or *gulp* give her formula?

I'm tempted to do nothing at all but am afraid my husband will try and sneak the pills in my food. He is the 'whatever, just trust doctors' kind of person and I am the opposite. What the heck would my OB care or even know if my baby gets cancer in 2 years from now. No one would even think to associate that with her drinking my Flagyl tainted breastmilk that far out...

Default Re: Please help - flagyl and doxy while nursing

Bump. Ladies, can someone help her find Dr. Hale's list? I've never had to consult it myself. Most antibiotics are safe for breastfeeding, and you definitely need to address the infection if you have a uterine infection ...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Okay, it looks like Flagyl is okay:

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/discus/me...tml?1264704289

Doxy may cause staining of infant's teeth if used for more than three weeks (but your course is 14 days so you should be okay):

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/discus/me...tml?1264704289

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I can't add much as far as the safety of the med while BF but wanted to add the warning that with metronidazol you absolutely cannot have even one sip of alcohol- it will make you very very ill! I occasionally have a glass of wine, so that's why I mention it. In case it comes up, don't do it Hope you feel better soon!
    Mama to two wonderful boys:
    DS1, October 2006, nursed for 8 months

DS2, October 2009, EBF and going strong at 13 months!