Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sore nipples with 6 month old why???

Default sore nipples with 6 month old why???

I have never had sore nipples when breastfeeding. Now mine are killing me. I can hardly stand feeding my 6 month old. I want to cry everytime something brushes against them. I took her to a check up today and the dr saw nothing so I don't think it is thrush. She has no sign of thrush, the symptoms for sounded like they could be it. My nipples aren't red though, just super sensitive and it burns when she nurses. I think I might call anyway. What doctor would I call about it? Pediatrician, Family doctor or OB/GYN?
    I also feel really full, but tried pumping and hardly got an ounce, What gives? Any suggestions?
    I'm Christi
    Mommy to Eliana Carina 9.23.08 and Alice Joy 1.21.10

Default Re: sore nipples with 6 month old why???

hi! sounds like you could be starting your period again if you haven't already started. (Or pregnant?!) When I started bleeding again i felt super full and could not pump nearly as much. Is this possible?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    hi! sounds like you could be starting your period again if you haven't already started. (Or pregnant?!) When I started bleeding again i felt super full and could not pump nearly as much. Is this possible?
    I just took a pregnancy test and I am pretty sure it is neg.

So maybe it is my period coming...
    Last edited by @llli*living4heaven; July 27th, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
    I'm Christi

Thrush doesn't always have visible signs. It can be systemic.The burning and pain still sound to me like thrush. As far as which Dr. to call, I would chose my OB/Midwife. They will probably know a little more about it. Good luck mama. Hope you get some relief soon!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

yeah... i just had another period last week (i have an almost seven month old) and i was SOOOOO sore. Milk pumping production went down for a couple of days and I never felt as though I was emptying even when he would nurse for 30 minutes (and he's a quick eater). Good news is if this is the situation, everything gets back on track as soon as you start bleeding - or i think a day or two later.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

When I had thrush, my baby never got the characteristic white patches in his mouth, so it was hard to get a doctor to diagnose it. But when I treated it, it improved, so that's obviously what I had. I agree that sometimes it can be asymptomatic in babies, but that "burning" and itching and soreness really sound like thrush.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Unhappy Re: sore nipples with 6 month old why???

I tried calling the family doctor and the pediatrician. Neither were any help. The family doctor said to call the pediatrician because if it was thrush the baby would show symptoms and the baby usually gives it to mom. The pediatrician said if she doesn't have white spots in her mouth it is probably not thrush and had me call the lactation consultant who I left a message for. I feel like everyone is just brushing me off and this is a BIG deal. Its so painful I am contemplating stopping. It is insane and I know it is not normal.

I'm Christi

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*living4heaven View Post
    The family doctor said to call the pediatrician because if it was thrush the baby would show symptoms and the baby usually gives it to mom. The pediatrician said if she doesn't have white spots in her mouth it is probably not thrush
    Wrong, wrong, wrong!!! Baby can be asymptomatic while mom is in terrible pain. So many docs just don't realize this.

and had me call the lactation consultant who I left a message for.
    At last, you got referred to the person who might have some real knowledge! Is the LC also an IBCLC?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This hurts!!!!!
    I'm Christi

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong!!! Baby can be asymptomatic while mom is in terrible pain. So many docs just don't realize this.

At last, you got referred to the person who might have some real knowledge! [I]Is the LC also an IBCLC?[/I]
    I don't know, the pediatricians office just transferred me over to the hospital lactation consultant. I left a message. I wish she would call back. I am being impatient..
    I'm Christi