Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solids - When, What, How?

Default Solids - When, What, How?

I am beginning to research when and how to start my baby on solids. I am extremely overwhelmed by all of the information that I am finding. My ds is 6 months old and he has been breastfed and bottle fed. He is very alert and pays attention whenever my dh and I are eating. I know that this does not necessarily mean that he is ready for solids.

I have so many questions about this, so I am just going to lay them out on the table. What cues from you LO did you follow as you began to start them on solids? When did you start your baby on solids? What approach to introducing solids is working for you? How did you first introduce solids and what types of food did you use?

I want to thank you in advanced for your input and guidance. I truly appreciate it .
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Default Re: Solids - When, What, How?

hi there...
    here are a few links that should be able to answer most if not all of your "solids" questions...
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?

Starting Solid Foods

How do we get started with solids?

Links: Starting Solid Foods

my dd is going to be 5 months old this saturday 10/14...so we haven't started solids yet. i'm sure other mamas out there will chime in with their experiences!

good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Angie5892 View Post

I have so many questions about this, so I am just going to lay them out on the table. What cues from you LO did you follow as you began to start them on solids? When did you start your baby on solids? What approach to introducing solids is working for you? How did you first introduce solids and what types of food did you use?

I want to thank you in advanced for your input and guidance. I truly appreciate it .
    I have been doing child led and it intially took all of the pressure around soilds away for me. No pureeing, spoon feeding and most importantly no schedules!!
    The 1st REAL ques for me were things like not just interest from a distance but when given an opportunity to actually put something edible in mouth, OPENING MOUTH, doing it and putting it back in mouth a 2nd time was huge.
    Initially DJ showed the other signs, sitting up unassisted, pincher grasp, interest in what we were eating. But found when I put anything to his mouth he exhibited no desire to open his mouth and taste anything. Once I decided on child led solilds my 1st 3 attempts (which were weeks a part by the way) were met with him grasping, squishing, smearing and rubbing evverywhere BUT HIS mouth! This at a time in his life when I pretty much felt like he was using his mouth as his nose. KWIM? Everything that was worthy of being explored was worthy of tasting except food. Until we tried watermelon. He put in in his mouth, made a face and then opened his mouth and tried more.
    His 6month B-day was 6/22/06 we started attempting about two weks before? (Right after his 1st bottom two teeth broke thru.) We had our 1st "success w/ watermelon 4th of JUly weekend. Our 1st attempt were w/ watermelon almost daily(it has iron in it, it's veryrewarding for them to suck on and he LIKED it) but not every day we would try some of that, Bannana w/ mixed results and avacado and yogurt always w/ success. (You'll get mixed reviews on the yogurt. But again he LIKED it) Somewhere in that month (July) someone suggested french bread ends for his teething. Seemed like a nice altenative to those icky teething biscuits. He's a big bread & cracker fan.(Unsalted crackers) We didn't get a highchair until end of July(BAD MOMMY!) so up until then these food attempts were made in his walker since it has a tray. And it was always one food once a day. Most days. At some point. After we got the highchair, I became more focused around sitting him in it everyday and it being at dinner time so he understood the ritual of family meal time. By this time we had added Cheerios to bag of foods and I must say I love the O's!!! Also some potatoes. Both regular and the sweet ones. They keep him busy and he loves them. When I went to see the doctor he was 8 months old and said he was still basically EBF she asked what foods we were playing with when I told watermelon most days she said she didn't even want to test his iron levels until after 10 months. Somewhere in Aug. We played w/ peach w/ mixed results and Green apples which are his favorite. They are my favorite too because again, the keep him happy for a while and they aren't very messy. Also raw snap peas.
    And then almost out of nowhere in the middle of Sept. he became very interested in what I was eating for lunch. I started giving him a piece of apple to keep him out of whatever I was eating and then sharing a yogurt w/him. So I was giving someone food advice one day and when I ran it down, I realized it had gone from one food once a day to two "meals" twice a day consisting of at least two foods each time. So now here we are. He's nine months old and I do lunch and dinner everyday in the chair w/two or three things. And at dinner I try to have at least one or two of those things be stuff we're eating anyway. Last night we gave him artichoke leaves. If we have pasta we'll give him plain noodles w/ no sauce. We've given him chicken shreds to play with. Raw Broccoli. And now he opens his mouth to taste EVERYTHING! (It's so funny the horrified look he gets everytime he tastes a popsicle because it's still way too cold for his liking but he keeps trying Two new delights this week are Santa Cruz unsweetened apple sauce and apple blackbery sauce. And these organic brown rice baby cakes that he really likes. The funny thing about the applesause and the yogurt...he's not as excited about things I'm putting in his mouth as stuff he picks up and controls him self. So when we have breakfast late (Every weekend,) I make him toast and cut off and give him only the crusts and we dip. In yogurt, in applesauce. He loves that!
    I think I've answered all your questions. When we started what we started with what approach we used and why and some good 1st and 2nd foods we've used. I have given you the events because just like everything since he got here...it was so much easier to just relax and let him tell me what. when and how much. If he sticks his arms straight out to the sides that means he's done So please don't feel like you HAVE to do anything. Don't think that right when you get here you're baby will be ready for "meals". It's been a process. There are some people here who have one year olds that still have no interest. MY child by the way is not BFing any less. And while he finally associates food w/ "taste" I still don't think he associates w/ HUNGER. I don't think we've actually begun the weaning process and we're both fine w/ that as well. You'll do fine. Just let it be a fun exploration for both of you. Good luck!
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; October 9th, 2006 at 06:05 PM.

thanks for such a thorough answer! the family is counting down till thursday when my son turns six months.....but i....am not ready!! the baby led approach really intrests me, but i had so many questions....your experiences were totally helpful! one question.....did you do anything special to prepare the foods? like the snap peas, potatos, noodles....i have read to give them fist size portions?? also, did you have any choking scares?? i have mentioned this idea to others and that is always their first concern.....thanks again for the info!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    thanks for such a thorough answer! the family is counting down till thursday when my son turns six months.....but i....am not ready!! the baby led approach really intrests me, but i had so many questions....your experiences were totally helpful! one question.....did you do anything special to prepare the foods? like the snap peas, potatos, noodles....i have read to give them fist size portions?? also, did you have any choking scares?? i have mentioned this idea to others and that is always their first concern.....thanks again for the info!
    MY concern too. (Sort of like when you BF you have to just trust your baby to get enough w/out measuring)You have to have faith that the natural mechinisms they have in place to prevent choking will and IME they did. THat is not to say he never GAGGED. He did. Gagging is a natural reflex that prevents choking. As is the tougue reflex that pushes stuff back out when they aren't ready to swallow stuff. He started EXPERIMENTING w/ food on his own on 4th of July. He didn't start actually SWALLOWING anything until Sept. Before that he would bite and chew and most of it came back out. (Beside a highchair, those plastic bibs w/ a POCKET are a must have.)And if anything made it past his gagging he swallowed it.
    As far as preparing. I made sure things were small enough not to block his airway if they did get swallowed. I know that the #1 choking food for kids in this country is hot dogs cut the width way. So I always shoot for smaller than that. The standard I settled on was a third of a Banana. (the way they come aprart naturally at thier seams. If I was cutting watermelon slices I used that as my standard. The other thing was making sure it was Long enough for him to get his hand around and still get some in is mouth on his own. and I always take advantage of the natural "handle" shape of things like Apple and Avacado.HTH!

Thank you so much for your feedback! DJ's Mom - I really appreciate the detail that you went into! That is exactly what I needed. I have read about the baby lead approach to solids, but it is good to hear how an actual mom did it with her own baby. I think that is the approach that we are going to take with ds. It seems like the most natural (and fun) approach to solids. I will let you know how it goes once we start .

Thanks again .
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Great info! This helps me out a lot! DS is 6mos and we are using the same approach. I'm sure I will re-read this thread often!

Yay! Child lead solids!

Just an update . DH and I have decided to do the baby led approach with Noah. Tonight was the first time that we gave him some solid food. I have actually been looking forward to tonight all day because I knew what we were doing tonight....this is an exciting time!

We gave him a cut up banana for his first "real" food. He pretty much just played with it for the first five minutes or so and he ended up mashing it up in the process.

He finally decided to put hand in his mouth, which, of course, was covered in banana. The look on is face was priceless!

He really didn't get much food in his mouth, but he got plenty of it on his face! Noah had such a fun time tonight experiencing his first food! This is exactly what I wanted for him in terms of introducing food. He spent the whole time concentrating on this new thing in his life and then he would look at us and start to laugh.

I am so glad that we decided to approach introducing solids in this manner! Thank you for all of your great advice and guidance!!! I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by @llli*angie5892; May 11th, 2009 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie5892 View Post
    Just an update . DH and I have decided to do the baby led approach with Noah. Tonight was the first time that we gave him some solid food. I have actually been looking forward to tonight all day because I knew what we were doing tonight....this is an exciting time!

We gave him a cut up banana for his first "real" food. He pretty much just played with it for the first five minutes or so and he ended up mashing it up in the process.
    He finally decided to put hand in his mouth, which, of course, was covered in banana. The look on is face was priceless!
    He really didn't get much food in his mouth, but he got plenty of it on his face! Noah had such a fun time tonight experiencing his first food! This is exactly what I wanted for him in terms of introducing food. He spent the whole time concentrating on this new thing in his life and then he would look at us and start to laugh.

I am so glad that we decided to approach introducing solids in this manner! Thank you for all of your great advice and guidance!!! I really appreciate it!
    That is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon