Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: really discouraged!

Default really discouraged!

My son is 5 weeks old. he was born at 36 weeks and stayed in the NICU for 8 days.I started pumping right after he was born o that he could have EBM while in the hospital and towards the end i was getting around 3 oz every time. When he came home I concentrated on breastfeeding and stopped pumping. Well This week I atarted pumping after a few feeding and I am not getting hardly anything. Maybe half an ounce total. I am feeling very discouraged because I need to return to work on feb. 21 and I work three twelve hour shifts so he needs at least the first nights milk stored up. My husband gave hima bottle of EBM tonight and I pumped to see if I could get more, but even than I only got 2 oz. I need help. How much should he be getting in a bottle now. He weighs 8lbs and is eating every 2 hours . Now I am questioning wether or not he is getting enough at all. How dou you increase your suipply?

Default Re: really discouraged!

When you go back, you'll probably get much more at work. Your baby is tiny and may only drink two or three ounces per session. They don't take as many bottles as they would nurse. I planned for 3 ounces ever two hours, but he only drank half of that. Try pumping one side while you nurse on the other. Also, pumping takes time~give yourself twenty minutes. I find that I get more when I drink water right before I pump. I also eat alot of oatmeal.

Quote Originally Posted by mizliz19
    He weighs 8lbs and is eating every 2 hours . Now I am questioning wether or not he is getting enough at all. How dou you increase your suipply?
    Babies are far more efficient than pumps!! If you truly need to increase your supply try fenugreek tea(or capsules), drinking more water, and eating oatmeal.

Hello,

I increased my supply by more nursing Sarah : between 8 and 12 by 24 hours. You can also take fenugrec (3 gélules 3 times a day) and Dompéridone

i think the rule of thumb is 2.5 oz of bm for every pound of baby (daily total). divide this amount by the # of bottles/nursing you will give the baby. Of course some babies will want more, some less.

Also, keep up with those bottles. our baby girl started bottles at 5 weeks and refused them by 8 weeks. We think our mistake was only giving her a bottle or two a week. try giving daily bottles to prevent her rejecting them when she gets older.

Take Care!

Hi, you're doing great. Just keep pumping even though it doesn't seem like much cause it takes a while (a few weeks) to get the breast used to expressing in this way. I also got the flow going by first massaging and hand expressing a little then pumping. Swapping breast often while pumping also helps. Early morning pumping works well too. Good Luck. Don't give up!

I am sorry I wasn't able to get to this in the last few days. There have been some great suggestions here. I wanted to add a few more. I apologize if they're old news for you -

- pump first thing in the morning, milk supply is naturally highest then (pumping in the evening isn't a bad idea, but you might not see much quantity then, so don't be discouraged.)
    - use warm compresses before pumping
    - during pumping, try gentle massage, from the outside of the breast toward the nipple area, or try compression, gently but firmly hold the breast to increase the flow of milk. when the flow slows, rotate your hand and try another spot.
    - pump on one side while baby nurses on the other. While baby is young, this isn't too hard. It gets challenging when they start becoming little acrobats at 4-5 months.
    - make sure you're getting plenty of rest, eating a wide range of foods (including fats! we nursing moms need calories too!), drinking to thirst, etc. Some anecdotal evidence suggests oatmeal helps maintain supply.

The best possible way to improve supply is to nurse on demand. At this point your baby and your body are starting to get very much in sync, after he's done nursing, there may not be a lot left. Pumping in anticipation of a return to work is a tricky game, you need to pump so there is milk for him on the day you return to work, but remember that then on day 1 at work you can pump the milk he will need on day 2. Ideally the quantities match, though as you seem aware, it's a good idea to try to have at least a little extra milk to be able to handle the times when the quantities don't match up perfectly.

It has been shown that more frequent, shorter pumping sessions can be more effective at boosting supply than fewer longer ones, so you might want to look at your work schedule in advance to find time for frequent but short pumping sessions.

You might also find some additional useful information here:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/returnwork.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpfreq.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Lastly, what kind of pump are you using? They are not all equal. You'll want a high quality double electric pump to pump for times when you are separated from your child during a time when you would normally be nursing. If you don't want to buy one, you can rent hospital-grade pumps (which are even a notch above the consumer ones that are available for purchase) from International Board Certified Lactation Consultants and some LLL leaders. Let me know if you need help finding a location near you.

I hope some of this is helpful. Let us know how it goes, OK?

Warmly,
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

Hang in there! I understand how you feel. When my son was 7 weeks old I had to go back to finish my last semester of nursing school- 30 hours a week! I felt panicked about not having enough milk in the freezer- and so did my husband, because he was the one who would be home with the baby. There was even a time when I was crying, couldn't express, and decided to give up breastfeeding. Thank God my husband was against it! He encouraged me to stick with it, and it was the best thing ever. Here's what I did: drink enough water that your urine is clear (or almost), no caffine, pump first thing in the morning, pump ALONE. For me the pressure of my husband wanting to watch, or see how much milk I got made me unable to express. Stress is a big factor. To increase your supply, pump one hour after you nurse. The only true way to increase your supply is effective emptying of the breast, and extra stimulation to the nipple. I like to pump one breast at a time so that I can lay a hand on the one I am expressing from, and then rub my thumb from way up high (on the chest or almost to the armpit) down to the areola. If you see more milk coming out in a particular spot, leave your thumb there until it subsides. Breathe! Think of your baby nursing when you are at your best- you both are quiet and comfortable and peaceful. Look at a picture of your baby. Pray- God wants us to do this for our children. Don't give up! Even if you only get .5 oz of milk- freeze it! All these small amounts add up. If you are late home from work, or if the baby drinks a lot in one day, even one oz can hold him/her over until you get home.
    Now my son is 7 months and we still never seem to have enough milk! He has tripled his birthweight and wets diapers, so I remind myself he's okay when I feel like I'm not expressing a lot. It has gotten much better, though. Breastfeeding is not the easiest thing in the world to do. We live in a country where we are the minority, so we have to learn these things on our own and from groups like LLL. You will thank yourself in the end, and so will your child. Enjoy that we can breastfeed- before long we'll be worried if there's enough gas in our child's car when they go out!

Smile Re: really discouraged!

Hello, one thing to watch out for. When I went back to work (started 1 day a week at 2 weeks, then full time at 7 weeks) my son wouldn't accept a bottle (from DH who stayed home for 8 weeks). I was SO worried because he wasn't eating much during the day (I used the 2 oz per pound rule). He was eating at night, but my mental calculations indicated there was no way he was getting enough.

long story short, he was 16 lbs at 2 moths and almost 20 at four months (exclusively fed breast milk). I read later that the 2.5 / lb rule does not always apply to breastfed babies because they are able to use more of the milk. I panicked and worried for no reason.

He still doesn't care for the bottle, but he is happy thriving and gaining lots of weight.

A little tip, I read articles on breastfeeding while I pump. It helps a lot with supply! It is also very motivating!
    Dominique