Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work soon, need advice

Default Going back to work soon, need advice

Hi Ladies,

I am a teacher and will be returning to work in August. I pumped milk for my DD all of last school year. She is now 16 mo. and there is NO way I will be pumping again. I have a stock pile of milk in the freezer and I'm hoping she'll take it out of a cup while I'm gone. That ought to last a month or two. If not, I plan on donating it on Milkshare.

My question: I currently nurse DD 7-10 times in a 24 hr. period right now. Do you think I'll be prone to plugs if I don't pump at work the first week or so? Do you think I should bring my pump and just try to relieve engorgement if it happens? I've suffered from some pretty serious plugs in the past and I don't want that to happen again. I do plan on nursing when we are together for as long as DD wants.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Going back to work soon, need advice

I would bring your pump the first week or two just to relieve engorement if it happens but other than that I don't think you will need it. Your body will adjust pretty fast. Good luck.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I'd bring the pump just in case but if you can get comfortable hand expressing that might be easier (less cleaning) and faster (less set up). You'll only have to do it to the point where you feel comfortable. Don't express too much b/c that will, as you know, signal your body to produce more.

Good luck!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I was thinking, bring a hand pump if you have one, that will be plenty. Or put your pump in the back of the car. Chances are you won't need it, but you'll know it's there. When you get home to your little one, get in a really good nursing, and massage/compress a little bit to help ensure no clogs.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.