Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still waking up several times at night..please help!

Default still waking up several times at night..please help!

Hi,

My 13 month old daughter still wakes up 3 or 4 times at night (almost every 2 hrs).

The following is how much milk she gets during the day:-
    I try to give her like 4 - 5 oz of cow's milk mixed with oats cereal and soon after I come from work, I breastfeed her.

The following is how much solids she takes:-
    During the day, She takes 1 gerber food jar (stage 2 food), oat cereal (1 full bowl) , rice and dhal (2 times a day), yogurt and sometimes tofu in addition to this. Is she underfed?

I am definitely happy about Breastfeeding. But the fact that I have not gotten good sleep for the past 13 months makes me feel exhausted. I have lost a lot of weight too...

Anyway I am looking for some constructive ideas / suggestions about how to make my baby sleep through the night

Your response would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Sangita

Default Re: still waking up several times at night..please help!

Please don't be alarmed as this is normal for your LO and all LO's are different so don't compare how frequently or not other LO's are nursing. The frequent nursing could also be a growth spurt. Does your LO sleep with you? This could be a great help and it was with me as my LO nursed every hour but b/c he slept with me I was able to latch him on and continue to sleep and when he was full he would unlatch and in the process fall off to sleep himself. Also keep in mind that BF'ing burns a lot of calories a benefit to some of us who happen to have very slow matobolism . Let us know if any of the information given is of any help and keep up the good work and I promise sleep will come !

Here are a couple of links that I hope are helpful.

Links: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextende...html#frequency

An Except: "Some children breastfeed often ("like a newborn" is a frequent comment that you hear from the moms of 12-15 month olds), some breastfeed only once or twice a day, and some breastfeed a few times a day on some days and frequently on others. No matter what the breastfeeding pattern, average breastfeeding frequency decreases gradually as baby gets older."

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sangeeetha View Post
    Hi,

My 13 month old daughter still wakes up 3 or 4 times at night (almost every 2 hrs).

The following is how much milk she gets during the day:-
    I try to give her like 4 - 5 oz of cow's milk mixed with oats cereal and soon after I come from work, I breastfeed her.

The following is how much solids she takes:-
    During the day, She takes 1 gerber food jar (stage 2 food), oat cereal (1 full bowl) , rice and dhal (2 times a day), yogurt and sometimes tofu in addition to this. Is she underfed?

I am definitely happy about Breastfeeding. But the fact that I have not gotten good sleep for the past 13 months makes me feel exhausted. I have lost a lot of weight too...

Anyway I am looking for some constructive ideas / suggestions about how to make my baby sleep through the night

Your response would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Sangita
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

how often does she nurse during the day? My DD is 15 months and still wakes at least 2 times, sometimes more, during the night. I feel for you!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

My DD was still waking several times at night and I just couldn't do it anymore and stay sane. So I did Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning method. The first couple of nights were hard, but it got much easier after that. She now STTN on most nights and usually nurses around 5:30ish in the morning and snoozes again until about 7:00 am. She also nurses very thoroughly during the day (7-10 times) and eats 3 meals and 2 snacks. I generally just give her whatever it is that we are eating. She is a small, petite little girl and just over 20 lbs. at 16 mo. My son was the same way. My pediatrician is happy with her growth.

I think as long as you allow unlimited nursing during the day and offer plenty of solids your LO will be fine to cut down on nursing so much at night. It doesn't have to be all or nothing regarding night weaning. You can have nursing times and off limit times for nursing during the night. Go to Dr. Jay Gordon's website. He has valuable information regarding night weaning. It was really a godsend for us. I now really enjoy nursing a toddler knowing that I won't be nursing all night long. Everyone is different. For some, it is fine. For others, it can cause a lot of resentment having to nursing a toddler throughout the night. Listen to your heart. It will tell you what to do.

GL!

I feel for you as it is really exhausting, especially as you are working. My son weaned from all his daytime feeds by about 15 months but continued to feed several times at night and first thing in the morning. He finally started to sleep through the night at about 20 months although its up and down even now at 22 months.

Not sure if you are feeding your little one to sleep but the change for us came when I separated the feed from bedtime. I fed him downstairs and then took him to bed to go to sleep (as suggested in Pantley's 'No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers'). It took a few weeks though.

I do think its normal for your little one to wake so often at this stage. Be patient - it will happen. I think cosleeping makes it more bearable because you can nurse while you sleep.

Good luck.

I think this is normal for a 13 month old, as difficult as it is for you.

Many 13-16 month old toddlers begin to nurse again like newborns. I know I read that somewhere I just can't remember where right now but if I do I'll link it later.

I read it because my LO did the same thing. And I know many other mommas on here had toddlers who did too. It could have something to do with the one year molars cutting. The molars are pretty painful and nursing soothes the pain. They can be more uncomfortable at night b/c laying down increases the pain and b/c it's quiet and they aren't distracted from it by all the things that are going on during the day.

Hang in there!

I would try to resist night weaning right now if I were you. Seems to me that your LO is trying to tell you she needs you right now for whatever reason be that developmental or teething. She's still young to night wean too IMHO.

ETA: Oh hey thanks mallyboo! I saw that you linked that quote I was looking for about young toddlers nursing frequently! Thanks!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens