Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about supply???

Default Worried about supply???

Hello all,

My twins are 15 months and still nurse about 7-10 times a day including a few times during the night. The only other liquid they get is water from my bottle or a cup. Everything is going great. My concern is my husband and I recently seperated (due to his stupidity) and I am concerned about being able to continue nursing them. Physically and emotionally I have no problem, I absolutely love nursing them and nothing will change that. I am worried that the stress, lack of sleep, and not being able to eat much will affect my supply. Does anyone know if that is a valid concern at this point or if my supply will be okay since we are well established? Also, how does my lack of food intake affect my milk and their nutrition? I have been able to stomach about a third or my calorie intake a day (for their sake) and all of it is nutritious foods (veggies, grains, fruits, etc).

Thanks so much, I am really concerned that this will affect our nursing relationship. I don't know that I can forgive my husband for what he has done, but I know that I would never be able to forgive him if this stress causes them to wean early. I am planning to nurse them at least until they are 2.

Default Re: Worried about supply???

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time.

Stress and lack of sleep can impact milk supply- but plenty of stressed, sleepless mommies have plenty of milk. Not eating enough is very unlikely to impact supply unless you're literally starving- that's why we women have fat reserves, to see our babies through tough times.

As long as you continue to nurse on demand, I'm sure everything concerning your milk supply will be okay.

Hang tough, Mama.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds like you are going through a rough time right now. The absolute best thing you can do for your supply right now is to take care of yourself and try not to stress too much. I know that is easier said than done I am sure. What kind of support system do you have in place? do you have anyone who can come and help you out?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Thanks so much! Mommal - thanks for your encouragement, I think we will make it through. I could probably go for months without eating before actually reaching the point of starving! LOL I am still 30lbs over my pre pregnancy weight and that is about 20lbs over the 'normal' weight for my height. I'm sure things will be more back to normal before I get to that point.

Rcsmom - I really do not have anyone that can come and help out. My best friend is a great support but she has 7 children of her own, so she helps emotionally, but can't be here to help me. I am doing okay with day to day - just worried about the effect of stress and lack of sleep and eating on my supply.

if it makes you feel any better, I hardly get a good night sleep...ever! I dont eat meals, just graze thru the day. Not sure of my weight, but I am usually a few lbs underweight, and I am back into all my pre baby clothing. I have no supply issues(that I am aware of)! I try to make the most of what I eat, keep it healthy and no real empty calories. Sleep is another issue, no help there!

I know its not a support for your situation with your husband, but maybe attending local LLL meetings will be a support to you in the nursing area, and you can be with likeminded moms.

hang in there!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

sorry you are going through this,mama!
    try to relax as much as you can and definitely go to LLL meetings if possible,for me it is very helpful and maybe you'll find good friends.
    try to drink enough liquids,and you'll keep up with your supply,if you feed on demand.
    remember that we are always here to give you a big virtual when you need it!
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!