Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nursing positions for bigger toddlers

Default Re: Nursing positions for bigger toddlers

My 2 year old stretches out on the couch or chair next to me. He is still technically in a cradle hold, but he is Loooong.

Nursing a toddler is a different ball game, huh? Best wishes!

Erica
    Erica
    Fletcher...August 20, 2005
    Welcoming #2 in July 2008

"There is no failure, only feedback."

When DD1 was still nursing we had to modify positions as she got older not only because she was getting bigger, but because my preggo belly was in the way! I'd sit on the couch with my breast out, she'd sit on the couch on the same side but facing in, so it was kind of like the football hold but for a bigger girl. Her bum was on the couch and her legs were stretched off to the side, and her upper body was sort of in my lap.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Great ideas, everyone, thank you! Okay, I'm going to try them all out and see if any work for us. Fingers crossed!

I would only add trying the position of you sitting on the couch and your baby laying on couch with legs up on back, bottom up against the couch with back on couch and head on a pillow on your thigh. You can lean forward and she can nurse and fall asleep. Works great for us at naptime. It was my kids favorite tandem nursing position. They could both be semi-laying down and nursing together.

Good Luck. LLL has some good links with pictures of various toddler positions. I will try to find them and send them your way.
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Thanks, that would be so helpful!

Sent you a link via pm with twin/tandem positioning that might help give you some ideas.

Good Luck!!
    Alene
    LLL Leader

with my 16 month old, I just sit him on my lap facing me and he latches right on. I have had to feed him this way for about 6 months or so now. Or when we are in bed, he lays on his side or here recently, he has tried to put his but in the air and his chest on the bed to nurse. It is ok till he decides to be cute and funny by wiggling his booty. (ouch)
    BF DD1 1 month

BF DD2 2 months

BF DS 16 1/2 Months and counting

And to 3 who think I'm Supermom who is

Trying to lose baby weight

250***240****230****220****210****200****190****180*** *170****160****150!!!!!!