Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding for a first time mom..trying again PLEASE help

Exclamation Breastfeeding for a first time mom..trying again PLEASE help

**(As many responses and as much help and opinions would be most appreciated. Different views and possibly more info and refs would be great too)**My baby is a few days shy of 6 weeks. My son was premature so we had to stay in the hospital longer because he had some issues. One of which was eating...he would not latch on nor would he even wake up to try. We had to supplement with a syringe for a while. Well the day after we came home we had to take him back to the hospital because he had jaundice. Still, we had trouble feeding. Finally I started pumping. Occasionally he would latch on, after coming home, but wouldn't feed real well. I finally gave up because our main concern was him gaining weight and getting fed. It seemed that the bottle was alot easier and he woke up for that, but slept thru trying to breastfeed. We stopped at around 3 weeks. Now I want to start breastfeeding again, but I'm worried it's too late. I still have a few drops that come out when apply pressure, but not alot. I pumped for a week, barely because it hurt so bad and when I pumped I would get only 2 1/2 oz once a day for like 3 days. After those 3 or 4 days I was only able to get a few drops. I want to know if it's possible to try to start trying to breastfeed again and how and EVERYTHING I can do to possible increase milk production if starting back up is possible. Please..as much info that can be given as possible. I especially want to start back up because it's the best for him and it's what I want because it's healthier and we can produce a wonderful bond and because he has some practice, is a bit older, and stays wide awake when he eats most of the time. ALSO..how can i get a more than a few drops when
    I pump??? If I'm supposed to pump how much should I be getting?..What speed do I use...etc... If someone...anyone could help I would be so thankful and I would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart! If you must, send me a private message, attach resources, etc...I'm so lost and and new and nervous. I haven't and I'm afraid to call a LC because I don't want to be criticized for ever stopping in the first place.

Default Re: Breastfeeding for a first time mom..trying again PLEASE help

I think you have gotten some relpies on your other threads but I just wanted to make sure you have seen this link.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Pumping shoud hurt! Try a different sized breast shield. If you are able ask a LC if you have the right size. I have to use two different sizes cause one nipple is bigger than the other. Shields are definatley not one size fits all
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Pumping shoud hurt! Try a different sized breast shield. If you are able ask a LC if you have the right size. I have to use two different sizes cause one nipple is bigger than the other. Shields are definatley not one size fits all
    oops! meant to say pumping SHOULD NOT hurt. sorry!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school