Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,106

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    When I plan my meals for the week I know if there is something that LO isn't going to be able to eat so I make extra another day and put in a container to warm up later. I do his lunches the same way. If we are having a chicken dish I grill extra and cut it up for his lunch the next day with some veggies. That way DH doesn't have to guess what I would want to give him for lunch...my way of controlling the situation with my baby

    I haven't had many problems finding something that LO can eat of all of our meals now that he is over a year old. We started with soft finger foods instead of purees.
    Michelle

    Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

    All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,465

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamas.mama View Post
    Sobamom, just thought I'd chime in that some babies just have really sensitive gag reflexes. I'm not sure if the OP's baby is really choking or just gagging, but my DS still gags on food that isn't pureed.

    I started him on bananas and a couple of other finger foods, and he loved taking bites and would chew and mash it all up. But he hasn't figured out the swallowing deal and has a sensitive gag reflex and if a bit of food gets on the back of his tongue, he just gags until I can sweep it out or he vomits. I tried different combinations of things and letting him practice for a few weeks but it wasn't getting better so we took a step back and are doing purees and will take it slow to help him learn how to eat without gagging. The OP may have a similar issue.

    BLS is awesome but doesn't always work right off the bat. The core principle behind BLS is the same as BFing on cue- observing your baby's signals and allowing them to determine when to eat and when they are done, and helping them overcome any problems that may arise. I think the OP is doing that.
    If your child isn't ready to swallow, this is what happens. This is natures defense against actual choking and it's actually a normal part of learning to deal with solid food. They gag and even puke. Even if they don't have a sensitive gag reflex. DJ gagged and puked. I didn't think it meant he was extra sensitive. I thought he wasn't ready to swallow food. And he wasn't. He started experimenting with putting foods in his own mouth at around 7 months. But he wasn't ready to swallow (read: able to do it without tongue pushing it back out, gagging or puking) until he was 9months old. They need to practice and find that space. I don't think if you are practicing BLS you have to back it up to purees when they gag and puke. If you are worried you can simply put solids away altogether. But My son did all of the things you are talking about here and we never gave him any purees. I only wanted him to eat what he could actually process on his own. The only way they find that space is by practicing. SO if her child is a year old and not eating much in the way of solids, practicing eating more actual solids with the family rather than jarred foods seems like the right direction to head. And there will be a learning curve. Whenever you get there.

    Way too lazy for formula

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2,197

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    If your child isn't ready to swallow, this is what happens. This is natures defense against actual choking and it's actually a normal part of learning to deal with solid food. They gag and even puke. Even if they don't have a sensitive gag reflex. DJ gagged and puked. I didn't think it meant he was extra sensitive. I thought he wasn't ready to swallow food. And he wasn't. He started experimenting with putting foods in his own mouth at around 7 months. But he wasn't ready to swallow (read: able to do it without tongue pushing it back out, gagging or puking) until he was 9months old. They need to practice and find that space. I don't think if you are practicing BLS you have to back it up to purees when they gag and puke. If you are worried you can simply put solids away altogether. But My son did all of the things you are talking about here and we never gave him any purees. I only wanted him to eat what he could actually process on his own. The only way they find that space is by practicing. SO if her child is a year old and not eating much in the way of solids, practicing eating more actual solids with the family rather than jarred foods seems like the right direction to head. And there will be a learning curve. Whenever you get there.
    I agree 100%. BLS does work right off the bat. The premise behind it is that the child is in charge of what and how much and when they eat. And if they want to eat AND are ready to eat, they will. If they are NOT eating (by which I mean putting the food in their mouths and also swallowing), they either are not hungry, don't want that particular food, or are not ready to eat solids.
    Last edited by @llli*duckpond; July 24th, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
    Teal

    25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    463

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Thanks ladies for chiming in, I was only sharing my experience and trying to point out that I doubt the gagging was CAUSED by having started with purees. And Shelly I think you're totally right that at 1 yr it's great to go ahead and let the kid work with finger foods.

    I don't want an argument, I am doing what my instincts tell me is right for my baby and taking his cues. He really enjoys eating and is so much happier with the process since I started offering purees. He even wanted more of the avocado he had the other night. I watch his signals and stop offering when it seems he's lost interest. If he doesn't seem excited about a food I don't shove a spoon in his face. His body is doing just fine with no negative response of any kind. In short, this is working very well for us. I really think this is a grey area of parenting- I kind of like the idea of BLS but I'm not huge into it and I don't think it's the be-all-end-all of starting solids.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

    E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

    We , , and !

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,465

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamas.mama View Post
    Thanks ladies for chiming in, I was only sharing my experience and trying to point out that I doubt the gagging was CAUSED by having started with purees.
    But it sort of DOES cause it. In that your child just has to get there eventually. So whenever you start solids, if what you start with is purees your child isn't getting any practice doing the work involved in eating. The chewing. The rolling food around. The figuring out of how much chewing has to be done in order to comfortably swallow. So if you don't actually start with that until your child is a year old, you will be faced with the same issues as some who is handing their child safe table foods when they are 6 or 7 or 8months old. So all the things that I know are safe for a 8 or 9 month old I know are safe for her one year old.
    And I guess "negative' in this case is in the eyes of the beholder. I didn't think that him gagging as he navigated his way through or puking as needed was a negative. I thought it was how he naturally protected himself against choking. I don't want to argue either. But I also don't want people who are practicing BLS to think that if their kids gags or puke that it means their kid has "very sensitive gag reflex" because it happens. To most kids. And it's nothing to be scared of.
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; July 26th, 2010 at 03:20 AM.

    Way too lazy for formula

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern Pizzaland
    Posts
    604

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    But it sort of DOES cause it. In that your child just has to get there eventually. So whenever you start solids, if what you start with is purees your child isn't getting any practice doing the work involved in eating. The chewing. The rolling food around. The figuring out of how much chewing has to be done in order to comfortably swallow. So if you don't actually start with that until your child is a year old, you will be faced with the same issues as some who is handing their child safe table foods when they are 6 or 7 or 8months old. So all the things that I know are safe for a 8 or 9 month old I know are safe for her one year old.
    And I guess "negative' in this case is in the eyes of the beholder. I didn't think that him gagging as he navigated his way through or puking as needed was a negative. I thought it was how he naturally protected himself against choking. I don't want to argue either. But I also don't want people who are practicing BLS to think that if their kids gags or puke that it means their kid has "very sensitive gag reflex" because it happens. To most kids. And it's nothing to be scared of.
    I don't want to get in an argument but I find it's contraddictory saying that starting with purees causes gagging.you said your child gagged too and you did BLS.
    I started with BLS and then did a combo of spoon feeding and finger foods and even if I started with chuncky food my LO gagged the same.gagging is natural,as you said and it's not caused by one way of feeding or the other.
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

    we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,465

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elimaka View Post
    I don't want to get in an argument but I find it's contraddictory saying that starting with purees causes gagging.you said your child gagged too and you did BLS.
    I started with BLS and then did a combo of spoon feeding and finger foods and even if I started with chuncky food my LO gagged the same.gagging is natural,as you said and it's not caused by one way of feeding or the other.
    Right. Not matter when you start feeding them actual food there will be a learning curve. SO no matter how long your wait your child will still go through it. So in case this was somehow hard to follow it began here
    Sobamom said this ....
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sobamom View Post
    Also, they don't really need teeth to eat! Baby gums are pretty tough. DD was eating things like roast lamb, apple slices, cucumbers, etc. when she was around 8 months old (and she only had two front teeth at the time). This is just a guess, but your LO is probably choking because she started out with purees, which are easily sucked down. Instead of slowly introducing semi-chunky food, I would try offering her "dry" things that she won't instinctively try to drink: steamed vegetable sticks, big chunks of meat she can suck and gum on, etc. If this sounds like something you're interested in, I would do a search on baby-led weaning. It will definitely help you with your problem of having to make separate meals for baby.
    Which speaks to that. That a child needs to practice actually going through the motions of eating rather than slurping.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamas.mama View Post
    Sobamom, just thought I'd chime in that some babies just have really sensitive gag reflexes. Butt my DS still gags on food that isn't pureed.

    I started him on bananas and a couple of other finger foods, and he loved taking bites and would chew and mash it all up. But he hasn't figured out the swallowing deal and has a sensitive gag reflex and if a bit of food gets on the back of his tongue, he just gags until I can sweep it out or he vomits. I tried different combinations of things and letting him practice for a few weeks but it wasn't getting better so we took a step back and are doing purees and will take it slow to help him learn how to eat without gagging. The OP may have a similar issue.

    BLS is awesome but doesn't always work right off the bat. The core principle behind BLS is the same as BFing on cue- observing your baby's signals and allowing them to determine when to eat and when they are done, and helping them overcome any problems that may arise. I think the OP is doing that.
    And the bolded statements I chose to address. Because it absolutely DOES WORK right off the bat. In fact most children are not ready to eat when we first sit them down to do it. And I responded it turn.


    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamas.mama View Post
    Thanks ladies for chiming in, I was only sharing my experience and trying to point out that I doubt the gagging was CAUSED by having started with purees. And Shelly I think you're totally right that at 1 yr it's great to go ahead and let the kid work with finger foods.
    And I was trying to clarify. So yeah I think all kids go through it. But that will happen no matter how long you wait. If they aren't ready to eat, they aren't ready to eat. But as soon as they put food into their own mouths they can be trusted to begin the process.
    In closing whether or not her one year gags she CAN feed him whatever they are eating at the table at the year point. Even if her child is gagging it's still OK. That comes with learning to eat solid food.

    Way too lazy for formula

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,564

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Lilah had a super sensitive gag reflex until she was about a year or so old. She would puke when she coughed a lot of times, any time she got her fingers in her mouth, etc. I actually didn't/don't worry so much about her choking on anything because I've seen her puke so many different things up.

    And maybe that was the point of the sensitiveness of her gag reflex? It was pretty strong until she started eating a lot of solids.
    Tracie

    Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    miles from nowhere
    Posts
    11,108

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Right. Not matter when you start feeding them actual food there will be a learning curve. SO no matter how long your wait your child will still go through it.
    That's true, both of mine went through the gagging/puking stage. Davis went through it twice because we had to take him off solid foods for a couple of months after he'd already started so he had to re-learn all over again.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    463

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    I do give him puffs to practice on. He does better with those. The gagging I don't mind, the vomiting I do. I don't like him vomiting up a tummy full of breastmilk. When he gets adept enough at swallowing the puffs without gagging, I'll start giving him other finger foods too.

    What you're saying is confusing though, because you say if a child is gagging a lot they're not ready to be eating solids, and yet you also say gagging is just part of the process and they have to go through it to learn how to swallow without gagging. So, which is it?

    Regardless, I know my kid and I are both happier with the way we're doing things now and it makes sense to me to take it in stages with increasingly solid foods. So I guess I'm just not a BLS-er. He doesn't "slurp" it off the spoon though, he takes a bite and swishes it around in his mouth, maybe "chew" a little bit and then swallows. He'll figure it all out. I just prefer to take it in smaller steps with him and he can have more fun eating that way since he's not frustrated by the process.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

    E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

    We , , and !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •