Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,467

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamas.mama View Post
    .
    What you're saying is confusing though, because you say if a child is gagging a lot they're not ready to be eating solids, and yet you also say gagging is just part of the process and they have to go through it to learn how to swallow without gagging. So, which is it?
    I am a BLS er so what I say to you is to that end. So if YOU the parent aren't comfortable with the gagging and the puking I would recommend putting the food away and try again next week. Or the week after that. Not think that purees was the answer. Because I don't think they are. I was and am committed to BLS and what it means to breastfed children. If you choose not practice it, cool. But that does not mean this it does not work right off the bat because you didn't trust the process. FTR I never put the food away when my son gagged or puked. I only put the food away in the very beginning when he would put it everywhere BUT his mouth. I knew he wasn't ready then. But when he pushed stuff back out, gagged and puked, I watched. I helped him when he puked. And Sometimes it made me a little nervous. But never nervous enough to stop. I knew he had literally bitten off more than he could chew.
    I am also saying that you are just prolonging the inevitable. And that is completely your right. But WHENEVER you get to a place where you are comfortable feeding him solids he will have to learn how to eat them. A one year old who has never had solids doesn't just instinctively know how to eat them any better than an 8month old. What changes somehow with age is a mothers' confidence level not what a child can do without actually practicing. I completely feel you on the wasting breast milk. But as far as your child being "happier"....that's a stretch. They don't understand what food is. They just don't. They aren't eagerly waiting to do it. They aren't eating it because they are hungry. That's all projection. It literally takes them months to figure out that they taste with their tongues. It's all just experience. They think food comes from you. You may as well be finger painting or or playing in the sand as far a a reference point. If YOU are happier and more relaxed than great. Do what works for you. But I don't think that the fact that your child was puking or gagging means that the process wasn't working. Just that you weren't comfortable with the process.

    Way too lazy for formula

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,570

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleiandjmomma View Post
    If I am making somthing that baby can't have yet, such as chili, I will cook the meat and pull out a portion for the baby before adding other things.

    I do take jarred or homemade purees with me when we eat out or at other peoples places though. I can't always be sure there is somthing for baby.
    This is what I do.

    Now my 10MO eats most things we do. She tends to be sensitive to acidic foods so if we are having spaghetti, I'll just give her the noodles with the meat, cheese and veggies but no sauce.

    With my older daughter, I really do very little modification from what we are eating. I do take out the things I know she doesn't care for and put it on the side rather than right in the food (like I'll put the onions or tomato chunks on the side).


    Jeanne (my middle name IRL)


    Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamas.mama View Post
    Thanks ladies for chiming in, I was only sharing my experience and trying to point out that I doubt the gagging was CAUSED by having started with purees. And Shelly I think you're totally right that at 1 yr it's great to go ahead and let the kid work with finger foods.

    I don't want an argument, I am doing what my instincts tell me is right for my baby and taking his cues. He really enjoys eating and is so much happier with the process since I started offering purees. He even wanted more of the avocado he had the other night. I watch his signals and stop offering when it seems he's lost interest. If he doesn't seem excited about a food I don't shove a spoon in his face. His body is doing just fine with no negative response of any kind. In short, this is working very well for us. I really think this is a grey area of parenting- I kind of like the idea of BLS but I'm not huge into it and I don't think it's the be-all-end-all of starting solids.
    I think that if you're following your baby's cues as to what he wants to eat, then that is BLS, even if what you're offering is purees. However, I still think it's *possible* (I never said it was for sure) that the choking could be due to the fact that the baby is used to drinking his/her food and doesn't know what the heck to do when suddenly there are non-drinkable bits mixed in there (which is why I suggested trying purely "dry" solids, like fruit or vegetable sticks--so there is no confusion at all). Also, just my two cents, but if your baby has a sensitive gag reflex, then following the BLS tip of giving baby something he can grasp in his hand and put in his mouth himself (e.g., broccoli floret, etc.) would give the baby ultimate control of how far into the mouth he inserts the food. Once he reaches an uncomfortable point, he can then pull the food back out again. It's all about letting them play and explore, even if all he does is sniff the food or give it a tentative lick.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Conway
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    yup and having fresh fruit or cold cereal on hand is helpful.

    get a few dishes of natural apple sauce.
    here is a tasty applesauce recipe i came up with.
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/201...pplesauce.html
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,467

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommaefvie View Post
    here is a tasty applesauce recipe i came up with.
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/201...pplesauce.html
    Oh HAI Ham holder!!!

    Way too lazy for formula

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Conway
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

    hey lady! i haven't had a ton of time online lately, but i've been trying to get back here when i can.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •