Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

Default Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

Need suggestions on how to feed LO without having to make her a completely separate dinner. Everyone doesn't really make their LO something different from the rest of the family every night, right? It's very rare that I can think of something we're eating that LO can actually eat. Help me get more ideas, please!

I'm OK when we have simple things like BBQ chicken, but what about when we have chili (homemade), a spicy mexican casserole (or any casserole for that matter! they all have so many igredients she hasn't had yet!) spaghetti, curry, hamburgers, etc? I have to feed her a jar of food if I don't make her something in advance.

LO is 12 months, but started solids late and hasn't had a lot. We're trying to introduce her to new foods and get her eating chunkier foods (she was on only jarred food for a while, though I'd like to give her more fresh foods from now on) and can eat a few finger foods, but can't handle very many yet--still no teeth and she's had problems choking on simple things, so we're going slow.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Need help finding foods LO can eat that's from our meals.

I don't make seperate meals for baby. I do prepare relativly simple dishes though. If I am making somthing that baby can't have yet, such as chili, I will cook the meat and pull out a portion for the baby before adding other things.

I do take jarred or homemade purees with me when we eat out or at other peoples places though. I can't always be sure there is somthing for baby.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Up until our son was over a year old, he mostly got stuff like avocados and cereal, fruits, steamed veggies, beans, boiled chicken, etc. Stuff I could really easily just put on his tray. Once he was bigger, I did just give him the parts of what we were eating that I thought he would like. Like, I wouldn't give him soup, but I would pick out the veggies and meat from the soup and let him eat those with his fingers.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Up until our son was over a year old, he mostly got stuff like avocados and cereal, fruits, steamed veggies, beans, boiled chicken, etc. Stuff I could really easily just put on his tray. Once he was bigger, I did just give him the parts of what we were eating that I thought he would like. Like, I wouldn't give him soup, but I would pick out the veggies and meat from the soup and let him eat those with his fingers.
    Same here. If you do this, you should be able to find quite a few things you can cook that your LO can eat. You may also find that having a child modifies your diet..in a good way.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

When I'm cooking I'll take out some of the meat or veggies or whatever and set it aside for the kids before I finish the dish with sauce & spices. So often the kids get a "deconstructed" version of whatever DH and I are eating.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My lo is 9.5 months and eats pretty much what we eat. I make pretty simple things but she also likes spicy/flavourful food like hummus, mild curry and spaghetti with tomato and meat sauce. I just make sure it is in pieces she can handle. We do bls so she has had a fairly wide exposure to different tastes and textures. So long as you careful with the amount of spice you can probably start experimenting a bit more with your lo especially now that she is a year.

Hope that helps!
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    When I'm cooking I'll take out some of the meat or veggies or whatever and set it aside for the kids before I finish the dish with sauce & spices. So often the kids get a "deconstructed" version of whatever DH and I are eating.
    This. So if we are eating a chicken Casserole, My son gets Chicken and pasta and a veggies. Things that are IN the casserole but not the casserole.
    If we are having Cobb Salad, he gets chicken, olives cheese and Lettuce. Four separate things. My son will eat a taco now but before he would I would serve him beans and rice and cheese and break the tortilla up and he's use that as scoops.
    Feed your child (And the rest of your family as many whole simple foods as possible. Raw fruits and veggies should be staples in all three of your every day meals. And that way there is always something for the baby to eat.

Way too lazy for formula

yup and having fresh fruit or cold cereal on hand is helpful.

get a few dishes of natural apple sauce.

Unless you have allergy concerns, I don't think you need to worry too much. In fact, I'm not really sure why you can't offer foods like spaghetti, curry, or hamburgers (isn't the last one mostly ground beef?). As long as the food isn't hot-spicy, there is no harm in letting your baby try foods with spices in them.

Also, they don't really need teeth to eat! Baby gums are pretty tough. DD was eating things like roast lamb, apple slices, cucumbers, etc. when she was around 8 months old (and she only had two front teeth at the time). This is just a guess, but your LO is probably choking because she started out with purees, which are easily sucked down. Instead of slowly introducing semi-chunky food, I would try offering her "dry" things that she won't instinctively try to drink: steamed vegetable sticks, big chunks of meat she can suck and gum on, etc. If this sounds like something you're interested in, I would do a search on baby-led weaning. It will definitely help you with your problem of having to make separate meals for baby.

Sobamom, just thought I'd chime in that some babies just have really sensitive gag reflexes. I'm not sure if the OP's baby is really choking or just gagging, but my DS still gags on food that isn't pureed.

I started him on bananas and a couple of other finger foods, and he loved taking bites and would chew and mash it all up. But he hasn't figured out the swallowing deal and has a sensitive gag reflex and if a bit of food gets on the back of his tongue, he just gags until I can sweep it out or he vomits. I tried different combinations of things and letting him practice for a few weeks but it wasn't getting better so we took a step back and are doing purees and will take it slow to help him learn how to eat without gagging. The OP may have a similar issue.

BLS is awesome but doesn't always work right off the bat. The core principle behind BLS is the same as BFing on cue- observing your baby's signals and allowing them to determine when to eat and when they are done, and helping them overcome any problems that may arise. I think the OP is doing that.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !