Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concern about VERY stinky gas

Default Concern about VERY stinky gas

Hi, I am new to this site and also posted the below message on breastfeeding.com, hoping I'll find some help between the two forums. Any advice is much appreciated.

And-per the site request- my daughter is 3 months old, 12 lb, overall healthy, poops less than average (~2-3 times/week at most). One thing I forgot to mention in the post below is that her poop is not odd-colored though it is a darker mustard-brown orange v. the more usual yellow-orange, and its odor is not the buttermilk smell of more usual BF poo; tends to smell a little more like spoiled buttermilk/sour smell, and tends to be a little thicker, like thick pudding (no mucous or hard stools though). Anyway, here goes:

Question about VERY foul gas odor
    Hi, I just joined this site hoping for some guidance after much research on my own and still no idea of what to do.

My 3 month old daughter is exclusively breastfed. She exhibits signs of "mild colic" as our pediatrician put it, especially in the form of late-evening bouts of crying. However, that has been improving as we've learned to "read" her cries and found ways of comforting her and calming her before the storm.

My main concern now is she has developed the most incredibly foul-smelling gas over the past 6-8 weeks. She's getting 'better' at passing it, i.e. doesn't always strain against the gas bubble itself, which may be why the colic symptoms are easing. She does occasionally wake arching her back and crying, and definitely has some days that are fussier than others, but overall the colic/fussy symptoms have improved but the stench of the gas is still AWFUL! I hate to be crude but imagine the most awful dog fart you ever smelled. That is the smell of my poor baby's flatulence.

We discussed it at her 2 month checkup and she even passed gas while the pediatrician was examining her. His response was: "Wow, she does stink, but at least she's cute!" and he was very reassuring that he is not concerned about it. (I remember that her gas then wasn't as potent as it is now.) He advised that I don't need to be concerned about eliminating any foods or about GERD. This is when she was diagnosed with "mild colic," as he focused more on her crying patterns than on the gas and odor.

I have a very strong mom instinct telling me that the frequency of her gas is not normal, and that the stench of it is a sign of an underlying condition...and several mom-friends also have the same instinct after witnessing her cries and smelling the 'afterburn.' During a mid-day crying bout followed by extremely noxious gas last week, I called the pediatric triage nurse, who asked me if I'd eaten "anything strange, like potato salad?" I have kept a 2 week food journal in the past and noticed NO pattern to the gas based on my food intake (and I noticed during the journaling that I have a varied diet, low in dairy) which I told her. She basically made me feel like I was being a paranoid mom and told me I could schedule a priority visit if I must. I should note that this is my second child and my first did not have any of these symptoms; also that I usually love our pediatric practice and this is the first time I've felt somewhat dismissed by them.

I have tried other tricks such as nursing only on one side, burping/keeping her upright after feedings/Mylicon/probiotics in bottles of breastmilk/gripe water/tummy massage/warm baths...all with no change in the stench. I don't know if I need to take her to a gastroenterologist or if I need to be spending more time researching MY food intake...my goal is to breastfeed as long as she wants to, and I am willing to alter my diet if needed; I also hope to avoid a Western medical model approach of just easing the symptom v. finding the cause.

My only guess is that I am sensitive to dairy in milk form but am fine with yogurt & cheese...could her gas be a severe allergic response to the minimal amount of dairy in my diet?

Sorry to be longwinded but I am at a loss for what to do and the information in books/websites doesn't seem to address gas stench, only gas pain/colic. Any help is much, much appreciated.

Thank you!

Default Re: Concern about VERY stinky gas

just my 2 cents:

i think that you should reintroduce the issue to your ped, and express all of these concerns/this new info with him, and see what he says to do.

i would def look into the food allergy issue. you may need to do some elimination in your diet.

good luck, mama.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinaew View Post
    just my 2 cents:

i think that you should reintroduce the issue to your ped, and express all of these concerns/this new info with him, and see what he says to do.

i would def look into the food allergy issue. you may need to do some elimination in your diet.

good luck, mama.

I completely agree.

My daughter had poops like you're describing and the most horrid smelling gas. Turns out (much later) that she has a dairy allergy and was just not exhibiting the typical signs of allergy through my breastmilk. I can't say that thats what is happening to you - but it's worth looking into.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I don't have any advice to give but want to say that I am experiencing the EXACT SAME THING with my 3 month old son! The stinky farts started 3-4 weeks ago and his poop looks exactly like you've described. He poops every 4 or 5 days! I'm very anxious to see what others have to say. I plan to bring this up at our 4 month check up but I'd love some insight now. Everything is the same as you've described-even the painful, back arching, passing of gas!!

IMO and IME it's very very normal to have VERY VERY stinky gas when your child doesn't have bowel movements everyday. Because the gas is passing the poop that is gathering up there. So it should smell Quite literally like the poops it is passing. Whenever my son would go more than a few day without going that gas was always very very stinky. I wouldn't worry.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    IMO and IME it's very very normal to have VERY VERY stinky gas when your child doesn't have bowel movements everyday. Because the gas is passing the poop that is gathering up there. So it should smell Quite literally like the poops it is passing. Whenever my son would go more than a few day without going that gas was always very very stinky. I wouldn't worry.
    I hadn't put the pieces together quite in the way but yeah, when my kid started going up to a week between poops all of a sudden her toots became so stinky they could clear a room.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wonder about the dairy, and here's why...

I cannot tolerate dairy nor can my mom. If we eat it, the gas is just awful - and the smell is horrid beyond horrid. They are called "milk farts" in our family and would wake the dead. I just wonder based on what your saying if there might not be a milk issue there. That being said, I can't say for sure.

If I do eat something with a lot of milk my insides feel like they are being stomped on and my belly is sore for about 48 hours afterward. *good times!* Maybe if your LO doesn't seem to be in pain - ?

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Smile Re: Concern about VERY stinky gas

With DJ'smom, didn't have time to read all of the posts..but she actually helped (again as she so often has helped me, thanks mama ) because my 11 week old has SUPER stinky gas, and she hasn't been pooping every day, it varies...I am taking a medicine that may be what's causing my girls' gassiness, but it sure is STINKY. Did you look through the different pages/links on what foods could potentially cause gas in babies through BF? The weirdest things..but you wouldn't know it. I actually swear that when I drink pop, it causes them gas, of course I say it's the carbonation, and it may be something else because my husband thinks I'm nuts, and has tried to explain to me over and over how carbonation can't pass through BM, but....uh oh wake up call!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

DS2 has really stinky gas and the longer he goes between poops the more his gas smells. His poop is also exactly as you describe. I always thought it was just the normal consequence of going longer between poops. My pediatrician FIL also experienced first hand some of the stink and did not seem concerned. He went 10 days without pooping and every day that went by the stinkier the farts got.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    DS2 has really stinky gas and the longer he goes between poops the more his gas smells. His poop is also exactly as you describe. I always thought it was just the normal consequence of going longer between poops. My pediatrician FIL also experienced first hand some of the stink and did not seem concerned. He went 10 days without pooping and every day that went by the stinkier the farts got.
    Because every day the gas is passing a larger pile of poop and the oldest of it has been up there marinating for 10 days. It's not going to smell good.

Way too lazy for formula