Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long is too long for 6 week old to sleep

Default How long is too long for 6 week old to sleep

I know this is not the usual sllep question!!
    How long is too long for my DS to sleep between feedings? Last nite he was still asleep after 5 hours so we woke him up to feed. Should we just let him sleep until he wakes up? He normally will range between 2-3 1/2 hours between feedings, so 5 hours just seemed like a really long time.

Thanks!!

Candace

Default Re: How long is too long for 6 week old to sleep

I was told at night to let them sleep till they wake you up if they are hungry they will let you know is what i was told. But during the day i was told to wake her every 2-3 hours to feed. I guess waking during the day and letting them sleep at night will also help to get them on a schedule also.

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I think it depends on their growth and diaper output. If they are getting enough and sleeping that much, that's great; if they haven't gained up to their birth weight or don't have enough wet diapers, you may have to wake the baby up to get some additional feeds.

Our pedi said not to wake him up at night - he'll wake up if he's hungry! This hasn't been a prob. recently for us, though - we're still up every 2.5-4 hrs. at night - maybe 4.5 if I'm lucky! Just make sure to "make up for it" during the day, though. Your LO should probably still nurse at least 8 times in 24 hrs.
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

Smile Re: How long is too long for 6 week old to sleep

We had a few days where Kaitlyn would sleep up to 7 hours (it didn't happen everytime) and our Ped told us that it was okay as long as it didn't top 8 hrs.

my boys are 2 months and I let them sleep as long as they want. I just try and make sure I pump in the am so my supply stays the same. Babies will let us know when they are hungry.