Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whole fat yogurt vs low fat yogurt

Default whole fat yogurt vs low fat yogurt

I have tried every kind of whole fat yogurt that I can find (which is only 2 kinds). DS won't eat any of it. I've tried mixing fruit in with plain whole fat yogurt as well as trying the YoBaby yogurts. For a while there he would eat it, but now he flat out refuses. He absolutely LOVES the yogurt that I eat (Yoplait Thick and Creamy Vanilla)...but it's lowfat yogurt. Is it better than nothing so I am getting some solids of some sort into him, or would it be better to not have any? The last week the only other solids I can get him to eat are watermelon and frozen peas I've tried avocado again this week...he's still not a fan. He's also not interested in ANY kind of meat...so his solid intake is minimal.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Default Re: whole fat yogurt vs low fat yogurt

I'd be more concerned about the HFCS in your Yoplait (and the fact that Yoplait is a Nestle brand). What are the 2 kinds you've tried?
    One that's easy to find in regular grocery stores is Dannon Naturals. It might not be full fat but it has some fat and no HFCS.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

yup and if hes nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours I wouldn't worry about milk subs at all...

are you trying meats? There was a time when sarah was little she just loved chicken breast.

On the solids, just keep offering a variety, even if you think he doesn't "like" something. It will change week to week!
    At that age I'd just put a few different choices on the tray or plate and let the kid choose.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My son did like yogurt, but another thing that worked for us was large-curd whole fat cottage cheese. It was easy to pick up, and he liked that.

Thanks! I didn't even think about the HFCS! It didn't even cross my mind that it would be in there. Matthew does nurse 10+ times a day so I'm sure we're ok there, but I really would like him to eat more solids. He ate sooo many frozen peas yesterday that today his diaper was full of undigested peas

And I'll definitely try the large curd cottage cheese! Thanks!

ETA: the 2 kinds of yogurt we have tried are the YoBaby stuff and The Greek Gods traditional plain.

ETA2: Andrea - I've tried all kinds of meats...they've all been a no go so far, but I'll keep trying!
    Last edited by @llli*nursingmom; July 22nd, 2010 at 10:31 AM.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

What flavor of YoBaby?

It may not be the full fat but rather the fact that the kinds he's tried are unsweetened that he doesn't like. Personally, I can't stand plain yogurt on its own either!

What did you mix in the yogurt? Whole fruit, fruit purees? I found that my babies like whole plain yogurt only if it was mixed with a fruit puree to sweeten it up.

Regular grocery stores often have limited selection for yogurt. Do you have any alternative options?

But, if he is nursing 10 times per day, I wouldn't worry too much about yogurt! What about grains, legumes, fruits and veggies?

Molly

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*molly.b View Post
    What flavor of YoBaby?

It may not be the full fat but rather the fact that the kinds he's tried are unsweetened that he doesn't like. Personally, I can't stand plain yogurt on its own either!

What did you mix in the yogurt? Whole fruit, fruit purees? I found that my babies like whole plain yogurt only if it was mixed with a fruit puree to sweeten it up.

Regular grocery stores often have limited selection for yogurt. Do you have any alternative options?

But, if he is nursing 10 times per day, I wouldn't worry too much about yogurt! What about grains, legumes, fruits and veggies?
    WIth the YoBaby I've tried Apple and Blueberry. He liked it for a while, but now won't touch it. For the plain yogurt I mixed in multiple different fruit purees, applesauce, etc... The last applesauce I got was organic, no sugar added and he wouldn't eat that either...I even added a little cinnamon...not sure what else to do to the applesauce so I'll probably use it to make brownies for DH and I.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

My baby also doesn't like yogurt (I made it with whole milk) but loves full fat cottage cheese.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Sounds like he's just not interested! Everyone in my family loves the Stonyfield Banilla, so that may be another one to try before you give up on the yogurt.

Molly