Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help weaning from supplemental pumping

Default need help weaning from supplemental pumping

Hello, my 2 week old twins had to be supplemented for a while, so I was pumping after every feed. I now have over supply, and need to stop pumping. I'm down to pumping only 3-6 minutes, but I still get a few ounces. Their ped recommended that I stop as much as possible, and only pump if I absolutely need to. The other thing is that I don't need to wake them every 3 hours anymore, and last night they did a 5 hour stretch. I had to get up after 3 though and pump.

Any advice?
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

Default Re: need help weaning from supplemental pumping

Sounds like you are on the right track. I think the next step if you are only pumping for 3 to 6 minutes would be to back it down even further- like two minutes. Then just stop. Those middle of the night pumpings when they sleep for longer than usually you will kind of have to judge. I would guess they are very infrequent so it may not be a problem to skip them.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )