Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamin D

Default Vitamin D

Hello, again!
    I just got back from my DS's 2-month appointment. My doctor said that recent studies have shown that breastfed babies should take a Vitamin D supplement. He was kind of wishy-washy about it, but told me to get an over-the-counter supplement. What does everyone think? What have you heard about this? I'm considering not doing it b/c my DS is gaining weight fine, has good dirty diapers, etc. and we get him out and about and he has some exposure to the sun on a regular basis.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Vitamin D

You may find this link useful...I think that as long as your baby isn't holed up in a cave...you are fine! But that is just my humble opinion

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

i was just talking dr about that today at my daughters 4 month appointment. I was told that it is not necessary as long as you are going out side and getting sun. I am in the south so she said that it isn't a problem here but up in the northern parts of the u.s. and all she said that they do it cause the sun isn't out alot and all so i guess it is all up to you in the end on how you feeel about it. Good luck

Your baby does not need to be supplemented with Vitamin D. Baby gets all the nutrients needed from your BM. My PED wanted me to give my 4 month old vitamins and has on occasion pushed solid foods stating my LO is skinny. Not all PEDS are as knowledgable about BF as they should be. We all need to have a doctor that is fully knowledgable and supports the BF relationship.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

hmmmmm....i was psycho about keeping austin out of the sun all summer....hope i had enough vitamin d because the dr never said a word about it!!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

My ped said my LO needs it b/c no matter how much vitamin D I get, it does not pass through BM like other vitamins. We also live in the north, so we do not get as much sun exposure, especially in the winter. Despite this, I am really bad at being consistent with the supplement. LO hates it because it smells awful and tastes terrible, too. She seems to be fine without it; normal weight, length, etc. I will have to try harder to give it to her this winter, though.