Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Big time biter!

Exclamation Big time biter!

I need help! My 11 month old is really starting to bite hard. As far as I can tell he isn't teething. He is not only biting my nipples, today he bit my arm really hard! When I try to nurse, he will twist and wiggle in my arms instead of just laying in the craddle hold like he used to. Now he will lay on his tummy, with one leg on either side of my knees He will move his head from side to side. I can't get him to sit still. Any suggestions on either the bitting or the moving while nursing would be greatly appreciated. I have dealt with his bitting while he is teething before and this seems to be somewhat different. I am at a loss and I am afraid I will be nippleless soon!!! Help!!!!!

Default Re: Big time biter!

I don't have much experience with this (actually I don't have any) BUT I have heard a firm NO BITING and looking LO right in the eyes and taking booby away for a minute is supposed to help...sorry maybe someone else has better advice. I am not looking forward to biting. chomp chomp ouch!

Ouch! I hate to keep postin links, but I don't have any BTDT advice on this, so I hope this link gives you some helpful tips:

When Baby Bites

HTH!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Ouch!! I'm not sure if I have a good answer, but a couple ideas come to mind. Does he do this at EVERY feeding, or just occasionally? Does he seem upset or angry? One idea is that he is exploring using his new teeth and has a need to bite right now. It might be helpful to encourage him to bite on teethers, cloth, acceptable toys, etc--things that are ok to bite. You can try explaining its ok to bite those things, not ok to bite mommy--ouch! that hurts. Another idea is that he is angry/upset or doesn't want to be in whatever situation and is biting to express this. Is he cueing to nurse? Maybe he just isn't hungry or wanting to nurse at that particular time and instead of just turning away he's going ahead and latching and then biting you???? Have you tried nursing laying down? Sometimes with a firm, flat surface underneath them (rather than moms lap and arms), babies will calm down and nurse better, without so much acrobatics.

I have tried to nurse laying down. He is just such a wiggle worm that he will get up and try to crawl around. He usually bites when I am nursing him to sleep. He doesn't usually bite when I am just feeding him in between naps. He doesn't do it at night time feedings either. It doesn't seem like he is having latching issues...trust me...he is on their good...but he just keeps biting...even after a firm no...and being pulled away from the breast for a minute....Now I am concerned because I just learned that I am pregnant...should I wean him now...or continue...if I should continue how long should I breastfeed him into my pregnancy??? Being a mom is confusing!!

Smile Re: Big time biter!

Quote Originally Posted by Garreysmum View Post
    I have tried to nurse laying down. He is just such a wiggle worm that he will get up and try to crawl around. He usually bites when I am nursing him to sleep. He doesn't usually bite when I am just feeding him in between naps. He doesn't do it at night time feedings either. It doesn't seem like he is having latching issues...trust me...he is on their good...but he just keeps biting...even after a firm no...and being pulled away from the breast for a minute....Now I am concerned because I just learned that I am pregnant...should I wean him now...or continue...if I should continue how long should I breastfeed him into my pregnancy??? Being a mom is confusing!!
    Hello Garrysmum! I would like to be the first to say Congrats! YOur ds will either self wean while your are pregnant or torwards the end start pumping out some bm for him while you are away from him. You being preggo now will also have some affect on how your nipple feels while you are preggo. My nipples hurting alot more when I was preggo with my Angel Baby Cade is one of the ways I found out. As far as him biting you...what I did with dd is tell her "no" several times and when she did it again I bit her hand not too hard but just enough to teach her not to bite me anymore and she hasn't since. I send warm wishes to you!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Whether or not you continue to nurse, and for how long, is completely up to you. Many mothers nurse all the way through pregnancy, and continue to tandem nurse after the new baby is born. Others choose to wean at some point during the pregnancy for a variety of reasons. Some babies will self wean during the pregnancy due to decreased milk supply. I have not personally gone through this, but here are some reasons I've heard many mothers give on both sides: Reasons some wean--nipple soreness due to hormones from pregnancy (I think this is a big one), fatigue/morning sickness make it difficult to continue, don't want to tandem nurse; reasons some continue to nurse-- all the reasons anyone continues to nurse a toddler (i.e. emotional, nutritional, health benefits), can sometimes help with sibling rivalry to tandem nurse, baby really wants to continue nursing and mom finds it easier to coninue than to wean. I'm sure some other moms will be able to offer some BTDT experience and advice!

Now with the biting issue again , is it possible that he's biting because he doesn't want to go to sleep? Since he's too young to argue with you about bedtime, maybe this is his way of resisting bedtime and naps. Do you have a bedtime/naptime routine that may help him get ready for sleeping. Maybe if you try some calming activities before nursing, so that he's already a bit sleepy, he'll be more willing to settle down and nurse to sleep. OR, could it be that your milk supply is starting to drop a bit from your pregnancy and this is angering him?

Quote Originally Posted by llowe View Post
    Now with the biting issue again , is it possible that he's biting because he doesn't want to go to sleep? Since he's too young to argue with you about bedtime, maybe this is his way of resisting bedtime and naps. Do you have a bedtime/naptime routine that may help him get ready for sleeping. Maybe if you try some calming activities before nursing, so that he's already a bit sleepy, he'll be more willing to settle down and nurse to sleep.
    My little one has started doing this at nap times. We actually do have a routine to help wind her down for naps, and I think that's actually what "clues her in" as to what it is I'm trying to "do to her." LOL! She says, no way, I'm not taking no stinkin' nap, and as I try to walk/bounce her to sleep she rests her head on my shoulder and out come the fangs! I've been fortunate enough to not have been bitten while nursing, but have received some wounds that bled on my arms and shoulders (and she's even started walking up and biting me on the knees!). No advice, sorry, just empathy!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon View Post
    My little one has started doing this at nap times. We actually do have a routine to help wind her down for naps, and I think that's actually what "clues her in" as to what it is I'm trying to "do to her." LOL! She says, no way, I'm not taking no stinkin' nap, and as I try to walk/bounce her to sleep she rests her head on my shoulder and out come the fangs! I've been fortunate enough to not have been bitten while nursing, but have received some wounds that bled on my arms and shoulders (and she's even started walking up and biting me on the knees!). No advice, sorry, just empathy!!
    For curiousities sake, what is your naptime routine. My son has a great bedtime routine, but the nap routine is lacking. In the morning we play, he plays alone right now...morning sickness is killing me...for about an hour then its time for breakfast, a bath and then dim lights, a short massage and then rocking and nursing to sleep. Usually this works in the mornings...sometimes better than others...for instance...not today..grrr...

But in the afternoon, I have trouble with a good naptime routine. I would love any sugguestions.

As far as the drop in milk production....my milk supply has actually increased. I find myself trying to get him to nurse more often and he is resistant because he wants to play...but at night he is loving it...which is killing me...now I am getting about 3 hours of sleep a night...I feel like I am gonna fall over dead. The bitting is not only to my nipples, he has bit my neck, arms and shoulders....I just don't get it....I don't want to bite him back, but maybe I will have to give it a try.