Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Endless nursing

Default Endless nursing

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Desperately hope that I can find someone who knows what's going on.

I am still nursing my 22month old. He has always been a voracious feeder so around Christmas I very slowly and gently started the weaning process through distraction and delays. This has been really successful and I was really happy when in the last couple of months, he dropped down to one or two feeds a day (usually in the night and first thing in the morning) and started to sleep through the night.

I know to expect some setbacks but the last two weeks he has been nursing like he used to when he was a 10 month old. He has been begging for it at all times of day and has been waking twice in the night. The worst part is bedtime. One night he nursed four times in a two hour period until he finally fell asleep. Tonight he nursed for an hour nonstop.

At first I thought it was a reaction to having people staying with us for a week (other kids in his space and mum's attention divided). Then I thought it was teething but this seems really extreme and feels like it is going on forever. Has anyone else experienced this? I know its just a phase but I am worried it will take a long time to get back to where we were and I am returning to work in October.

Appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks
    Taddymum

Default Re: Endless nursing

My thought was 2yr molars. They are ROUGH! My kid did teething pretty well but the molars just about killed us. What happens if you give pain reliever such as tylenol?

my first thought was 2 yr molars too. Sometimes nursing helps relieve the pain so they nurse a lot. I was never more happy when I finally saw E's 2 yr molars pop through! He nursed non stop all night while they were cutting and it took months!

It can be really rough. See if you can get him to let you see back there in his mouth. Sometimes the gums look really swollen and red before they cut and sometimes you can't see much of anything but they are probably coming!

Oh and welcome to the forums!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Smile Re: Endless nursing

Those molars are good ideas..and I'm going to keep that in mind for myself! Thanks ladies...another thing I was thinking is when Annabella (22 months today!) seems to want to BF more often, she goes through phases, and not just when my 11 week old is around..I consider her possibly trying to fight off a bug, so I let her nurse hoping it will help! Just somethin' to think about.
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    My thought was 2yr molars. They are ROUGH! My kid did teething pretty well but the molars just about killed us. What happens if you give pain reliever such as tylenol?
    yep. this is my initial thought, too.

my dd is 21 mos, and we have 2 yr molar issues now. she'd JUST started to sttn, and now she's nursing every 1-2 hrs all day, and several times a night. sigh.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Thanks all! I do think the 2 yrs molars theory makes most sense though I can't see any inflammation. I did try painkillers one afternoon but I'm reluctant to use them too much since this has been going on for a couple of weeks now. Just knowing what's going on makes it much more bearable. Glad its happening now and not in October when I go back to work.

So nice to find you all.

xx
    Taddymum