Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I've Decided...

Default I've Decided...

to not let Lucy wean. I just won't allow it. I don't care if she's ready (I posted about it here), because I'm not and, dang it, I'm the adult here!

Today I really tried making our nursing sessions fun and it seems to have worked! She nursed twice this afternoon already, for twenty minutes each! I just made it really casual and let her wiggle all over the place (upside-down, too) and it was GREAT! We laughed and cuddled and... and...

I have a sneaking suspicion I might be pregnant (we'll find out tomorrow) , and I think it may have been affecting my supply and our "usual routine".

Anywho. I'm going for it. I won't give up without a fight.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

Default Re: I've Decided...

I just read both your posts. My DD was EXACTLY the same way! Sounds like her to a "t" at one year old. Just to encourage you, I didn't let it go, either, and she nursed until 23 mo. Now, I think by about 18 mo. she was only nursing twice a day, but still... she had 2-3 good sessions a day until 23 mo. and she completely weaned on her own. I was very proud of us!! You CAN do it! And it really is a blessing that a toddler will eat that much solid food and drink water from a sippy. Some moms have to worry about that a lot.
    Sounds like you are doing a great job, momma!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Nursing toddlers is a WHOLE different ballgame as you are finding out. It's so wonderful that you are encouraging your LO to keep nursing! The standing up, upside down, wiggly nursing is so sweet, you are right!

So did you poas?
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

KUP on the HPT momma. I just wanted to add that although you want to 'push' and keep her nursing, don't force it. Really! The best thing you can do is offer and if she's not interested then try again later.

Personally, I would not do a song and dance over it because then they will expect it every time you want to nurse.

My own experience with nursing my oldest who weaned after he turned 3 was that toddler nursing is very different. You have to be really open to go with the flow. We actually went 2+ weeks with him nursing every other day or so several times, and then he picked it back up again.

To us, nursing became comfort and cuddles- and was something there if needed and not if it wasn't. And I was also so scared he was going to wean, but he never did for another 2 years.

Enjoy it and congrats on making it to the 1+ club!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I got a negative today, which doesn't surprise me. With DD I didn't get a positive until a little over 6 wks pg. I'm still crossing my fingers. Tonight DD wanted to stand next to the couch while I lay on my side on the couch. She would nurse for a bit, walk over and get a toy, nurse a bit more, climb up and do acrobatic tricks on my stomach, climb down, etc. It makes me .

green.momma I agree with not forcing her to nurse. Those always result in the most frustrating sessions. I find if I just put it out there she'll usually come running. It's hard to view bf as more of a comfort thing now. It's so hard to get away from the every two hours things ... even though we've been past that for months now. Maybe I'm in denial about her getting older.
    I'm Beth-

POAS again. BFN. WTF? Where is AF? 2 weeks late!
    I'm Beth-

I'm sorry are you under stress???

That can make you skip.

test again in a month if you haven't had a cycle before then.

I haven't had any unusual stress lately. Well, except the fact that my baby brother is moving to Tokyo on Friday. Hmm...
    I'm Beth-