Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting pregnant without a period

Default getting pregnant without a period

hi there,

only posted a few times on here but always get good advice so i was hoping i might hear from someone on our current little 'glitch'

my son just turned 2 and still nurses before & after naps, morning & night before and after bed and occasionally in the middle of the night. we just moved him to his own bed but it's a full size so when he does wake up at night i go to him and let him nurse. he's definitely starting to sleep longer stretches though as opposed to when we were co-sleeping and i think this will continue as he just pushed out his last two molars (woohoo!).

anyhow, i expected at this point my period would have returned, my doctor said it would but still nothing. problem is we are trying for another baby now and i have no idea. granted we've only been trying for a month but i'm wondering--is it even possible to plan this or do you just have to trust it will happen when it happens? i know it's possible to get pregnant now but i rather liked knowing when a good time to try was (we nailed it the first time before, haha!) and now it's like shooting fish in a barrel.... weird thing is that i sometimes get signs like i used to before i got my period, but they pass with nothing.

i'm actually interested in weaning my son soon anyway, but he's been pretty good cutting back if we keep him busy and a part of me is fine with letting him slowly cut back over the next few months and then hopefully having him weaned by christmas. but in the meantime, any advice on how to get pregnant? thanks, sorry for the long message!

Default Re: getting pregnant without a period

Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a great book for someone in your position. It teaches you how to read and chart your fertility signs, and troubleshoot problems (if there are any). You might be able to use charting to help you catch the first egg out of the gate.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can be fertile before your period returns, so it's definitely possible to get pregnant without ever getting your period. I bet your period will return soon, but in the meantime if I were you I'd just try to pay attention to whatever signs I WAS getting and try to work around it. And try to have fun with it, since there's no real clear 'fertile' time I guess your best bet is maximizing your chances by upping the frequency!

Enjoy it now, once you have 2 you may never have time for sex again.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am not much help because despite EBFing, my period came back after both of my kids when they were only 6 weeks old. That being said, I have heard if you nightwean your child, your period is more likely to return. Could you have your husband go to your son when he wakes during the night? Nutritionally speaking, at 2 years old, your son can surely make it through the night without nursing, so that might be something to consider. I have heard on here Dr. Jay Gordon's method of night weaning is supposed to work well.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

yeah, night weaning would be a definite possibility if it didn't involve nights, LOL we are so close to him sleeping all night at this point anyway--for the most part we make it to daylight--that i think i'd rather let him take care of that on his own. i'm pretty in tune with my body anyway, and i can't help but think that getting *some* of the signs of a period coming must mean something... i think we'll just up the frequency like suggested and of course try to be patient but my little guy is that age where he is so awesome we keep looking at each other thinking let's make more right now!! haha! thanks for the advice!

Looking for other signs of fertility is a great idea too... although I was having my period when we were TTC, the thing I watched for the most was changes to my cervical mucous. I knew when I got egg-white CM that I was ovulating, or just getting ready to ovulate, so that is when I made sure we DTD. And it worked... I got pg with DS the first month we tried. Anyway, have you noted any changes in cervical mucous?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.