Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 15 Months still nursing - Is Soy Milk ok at Lunch? Water?

Default 15 Months still nursing - Is Soy Milk ok at Lunch? Water?

My ds is almost 16 months old and still nursing during the day, before bed, and twice during the night. He nurses about 6 to 8 times a day/night.

My pediatrician told me to start giving him water when he was about 6 months old, I waited a little past that and I have been giving him a sippy cup with water at lunch time for awhile now. A couple weeks ago I let him taste soy milk (we don't drink cow's milk) and he loved it.

I have given him some soy milk (unsweetened) a few times but I want to know other's thoughts about that.

I want to continue nursing him until at least 24 month (about 8 more months). Do you think I should stop giving him soy milk or is it ok? And what about water? He drinks water from a sippy cup a few times a day.

Thanks!

And much love to all you mama's!!

Default Re: 15 Months still nursing - Is Soy Milk ok at Lunch? Water?

Since my daughter was about 10 months old I have let her control her water intake. She has free access to water and can drink as much as she wants. And since she was 14 months old she has had cow's milk. I do limit that to no more than 16 ounces a day, she probably drinks about 12 or so would be my guess. She still nurses quite frequently.

Are you worried that he will want to have the soy milk and not nurse? I don't think that drinking soy milk will cause him to wean. He doesn't NEED it, but there's no reason for you to not give it if you want to.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Since my daughter was about 10 months old I have let her control her water intake. She has free access to water and can drink as much as she wants. And since she was 14 months old she has had cow's milk. I do limit that to no more than 16 ounces a day, she probably drinks about 12 or so would be my guess. She still nurses quite frequently.

Are you worried that he will want to have the soy milk and not nurse? I don't think that drinking soy milk will cause him to wean. He doesn't NEED it, but there's no reason for you to not give it if you want to.
    If you feel that the soy milk is likely to cut down on your child's desire to nurse, you can always just keep your child's soy milk intake minimal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yup and I don't see anything wrong with adding it in their diet when they are at day care...

Hi Thank you for your replies.

I was partially concerned it would interfere with nursing, although I only have given it to him when I would otherwise be giving him water. He has his his sippy cup with water accessible most of the day. I also was not sure if it was healthy for him at this early stage.

I was thinking it would be good to give him some soy milk occasionally when he visits with his grandparents so that would be good!

At 16 mo my DS1 started getting soy milk in a sippy at lunch while he was at preschool. We did soy milk cause he's allergic to dairy. When we were together we continued to breastfeed. DS1 weaned at 33 mo when I was pg.

I didn't notice drinking soy milk interfering with breastfeeding, but we DID need to limit how much soy milk he drank cause it was interfering with eating alot of solids. For whatever reason DS1 started refusing to drink soy milk and his solids eating went WAY up. BUT this can be true of cows milk too - LO fills up on calories they drink.

3 things I'd keep an eye on are making sure your LO is getting enough Vit D, enough calcium, and enough healthy fats. Breastmilk goes a long way towards meeting those dietary needs, but may not be enough.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you for more great answers. That's good stuff to think about. Thanks for the good word about the importance of vitamin d, I have the link to an interesting article about the importance of sunshine on our skin, aka vitamin d.

http://www.naturalnews.com/sunshine.html

We get non dairy sources of calcium mostly. Other than bananas or avocados, do you know of good sources of healthy fats for baby? He does not really like anything mushy but nuts are still too hard.

My DD is 25 months old. She nurses around 5 times a day. She doesn't drink anything but water. There have been a few times where she has asked for cow's milk and I gave it to her. But I don't give it to her regularly. Since she is still nursing the 3-4 time per day minimum. I don't drink it at all (unless it has chocolate in it).
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

HERE is a very long thread about fats for LO who aren't getting any dairy. The focus was LO with food allergies, but applies to ANY LO without any dairy in their diet.

After I was diagnosed Vit D deficient we put my no-dairy LO on a Vit D supplement. He's older so it's a chewable. I don't worry as much in the summer time, but I'm pretty sure he's not getting enough sun exposure in the winter.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)