Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too quick of letdown... but then I also fight milk supply issues, help?

Red face Too quick of letdown... but then I also fight milk supply issues, help?

I have a bit of an issue... I don't sleep with baby since it has never worked out well for me or baby getting much sleep... (this is my seventh)

Yet by looking through these threads I see that I have TOO much milk many times... and my breasts REALLY let down when they let down... to the point that the baby is gulping and struggling for breath during let down. So all of the suggestions suggest LOWERING my milk supply... which is fine... but my baby (6wks) sleeps pretty well during the night and occasionally during the day, sometimes going from about midnight until 7 or 8 am until they nurse... so this cuts down my milk supply for them during the day... so I have a tendency to constantly nurse or pump during the day to keep my milk production up... otherwise I find that by two, two and a half months they aren't getting enough milk, my body is kicking back into fertility mode, and it's near impossible to increase my milk supply, which leads to me finally giving them solids early, them losing interest in breastfeeding, you name it. Mine have all been weaned by 8 months on their own... I've never had to "wean" one of them.

Any suggestions? I would love to have a baby that latches on and nurses for the pure joy of it, not just because they are hungry, which would probably mean a more laid back, less fussy, happy baby when they are awake.

Is it possible to have one breast that I can use for supply and one for "comfort"? LOL! Other than being lopsided, I don't have an issue with that! LOL!

Default Re: Too quick of letdown... but then I also fight milk supply issues, help?

it is possible to have OALD with out having oversupply. Usually the two go hand in hand but not always. There are some things that you can do to control the OALD without lowering your supply. These include nursing till let down then catching it in a towel then relatching baby, nursing laying down sometimes helps, nursing reclining with baby on top of you all can help. Are you BF on demand? You said that your previous LO's all weaned at around 8 months- how did you know they were weaning? it is very common at that age for babies to get extremely distractable but that does not mean they are weaning. it is very uncommon for a baby of that age to self wean. These links have some more info on milk supply, weaning and milk production.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Default Re: Too quick of letdown... but then I also fight milk supply issues, help?

Thank you, Jessica, lots of good reading!

I think, by what I have been reading, that I also have oversupply. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it. I just worry that (like in my previous babies) my milk production will slow in another couple of months (my fertility likes to push back pretty quickly and it crimps my milk supply). I guess I will have to deal with that when I come to it... my way of handling that has been to get my milk production WAY up even now to prepare to have enough then... but based on what I am reading I am wondering if I've caused more problems than I've fixed, and that the disinterest from the babies could be because they have had issues with oversupply with me... and don't like to "comfort nurse" as much. So I am definitely working on the blocking since yesterday, and am a bit gorged on one side right now... but even so far my daughter seems a bit more content and spitting up less.

So if I crimp down my milk supply, will it be okay if she sleeps through the night (last night it was 12:30 to 8:00 this morning?)? I don't want to be short on milk for her throughout the day, when she nurses a lot.

Yes, I BF on demand.

As far as my previous kiddos... they would latch on for a moment and then lose interest almost immediately... and my milk production would cut down to nothing practically... and they would be VERY distracted and it would be a struggle to get them to nurse... Maybe you are right, they weren't really weaning, but just distracted, but either way it killed my milk production and I know they weren't getting enough at all... and I couldn't get them to cooperate to increase my supply, so I ended up stopping so they would get enough nutrients via the bottle.

rcsmommy gives excellent advice.

So if I crimp down my milk supply, will it be okay if she sleeps through the night (last night it was 12:30 to 8:00 this morning?)? I don't want to be short on milk for her throughout the day, when she nurses a lot.
    It's almost always fine to allow your baby to sleep through. Our bodies have a very sensitive internal clock, which makes them highly trainable. Usually a mom whose baby sleeps through will have a decrease in production during the night, when demand is low, but plenty of milk during the day when demand is high.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"