Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made it to a year...can I PLEASE pump wean now?

Default Made it to a year...can I PLEASE pump wean now?

My beautiful little girl will be a year old next week. Ahhh, I love her so much!!!

I'm a full-time working mama, but she still enjoys about 4 nursing sessions (plus 1 small mom's milk sippy cup) a day during the week, and unlimited nursing on the weekends. But pumping is really starting to get to me. She fills the gaps when I'm gone with cow's milk and solids.

Maybe I'm being selfish, but I don't know how much longer I can pump at work without losing my mind (dramatic, I know...LOL). I'm down to once a day (just recently knocked down from twice daily).

Please oh please, would it be alright of me to stop pumping and let her enjoy cow's milk and solids when I'm not home, and mama nursing time when I am? Will I lose my milk if I don't pump while I'm at work? I guess, ultimately, can I still breastfeed her and give her and myself all the benefits still, if I'm only nursing 3-4x a day during the week? I keep reading about all these women who nurse their toddlers 10-12x a day and I'm feeling really insecure.
    First time mama to my beautiful girl, iBaby, born 7-31-2009. Blogger at www.imanimama.com

Default Re: Made it to a year...can I PLEASE pump wean now?

FWIW- you have my permission No really you can definitely pump wean now with no problems. Sounds like your LO is doing great!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

You will be fine to stop pumping now. Your supply will adjust to make milk when you are with your baby. I stopped pumping at 13 mos and kept nursing until she was 2. My boobs even knew when it was Saturday.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yes you can! I pump weaned at 14 months. My DD was no longer wanting her bottle. We continue to nurse about 5 times a day...sometimes more or less. You will have enough. The 10-12 times a day could be moms who are at home or could include night time nursing. DD usually nurses more when I'm home on the weekends.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

We're totally pump weaned since around 11 months to a year (it took me a while to eliminate the last pumping session). I still pump when I go to night meetings (I work in local government so I have planning commission and council meetings), mostly for my comfort. Joe takes formula in his bottle now (I know! But he hates cow's milk!).

He still probably nurses ten times a day. Or at least, that's what it feels like! He's an all night sucker.

The best part, though, is that I can nurse him all day on weekends, and he's perfectly satisfied. When he wants milk, it's there. But I no longer have to pump. I started liking breastfeeding a lot more when I didn't have to pump anymore.

So jump in, the water is warm!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Absolutely!

Total permission to "hang up the horns"!

I found that when I stopped pumping I really re-connected and was happy with continuing to breastfeed for a loooong time.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Oh my goodness, I LOVE YOU LADIES!!!!!!!

I am happy as a lark right now. I thought about waiting out the week, but I just know it will help my psyche so much to finally give up the pump. My gorgeous little monkey loves to nurse, so you have all helped me to feel confident that the fountains will not run dry.

Why did I not use this site earlier on in my new motherhood?
    First time mama to my beautiful girl, iBaby, born 7-31-2009. Blogger at www.imanimama.com

Yeah!

Some BTDT advice - to avoid engorgement and possible clogged ducts, its best to GRADUALLY stop pumping. So over the course of a week (or more) gradually cut back the amount of time you pump and number of pumping sessions.

You may find that on a Monday at work after a weekend of nursing you'll feel uncomfortably "full". You can hand express or hand pump a little for comfort. After a couple weeks this should go away as well.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

If you're only pumping once a day right now you can probably just stop, but you may want to keep the pump at work for a week or so just in case you need it for some quick relief.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

have no clue about the pumping question just wanted to congradulate you on making it a year you rock
    I'm kat proud mama to 2 busy boys
    DS1 - 8/2/03
    DS2 -10/6/09