Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We made it! (Now can I relax a bit?)

Default We made it! (Now can I relax a bit?)

You can get a little glimpse of what my first year breastfeeding was like in my signature, but it has been a very long journey any way I phrase it. When my sweet baby girl was 4 or 5 weeks old and we were seeing IBCLC's every few days still, pumping 10x/day and nursing without much milk removal and I fully expected she would get the hang of it any week, I promised her I would pump for her till she was 12 mos if I had to. Well, thanks in part to that promise and the fact that I was raised to always keep your promise, if when it hurt, I'm here on the eve of her birthday, pumping while my husband is giving her some of my milk in a bottle.

I am so thankful for the support here, for my breastfeeding support group, my LC who I am still in contact with, my wonderful family and friends. My dd has never had formula but has had other mommies' milk since I had low supply, we survived a terribly painful 4 month nursing strike, lots of tears and lots of sleep deprivation. My LC is very very experienced but says that my dd is a puzzle, not really sure why she is so inconsistent at emptying my breasts.

All this to say, no matter what struggles you are going through, and even if it means hours and hours with the pump or hours in the rocking recliner while your baby only takes an ounce or whatever else, it is SO worth it! I am only pumping twice a day now and she only gets two bottles a day, both from my husband so she isn't really even associating me with a bottle. She lifts up my shirt (I know, I might want to change that habit) when she wants a sip, and nurses probably 10-14 times in a 24 hr period.

Here is my question, tomorrow is her birthday, and I know this isn't the end, but can I quit worrying about how much milk she's getting? She has a good handle on solids and drinks water in a sippy cup. I'm not wanting to wean her, I'd love to make it 2 years or beyond. I'm very open to the idea of tandem nursing should that be a possibility for my family. But can I calm down and relax if she hasn't nursed in a few hrs and just trust that my supply is fine enough now, even if she's only getting 10-15 oz (I'd estimate) a day?

Happy birthday to my little baby angel. I love her so much. I think a baby is the sweetest blessing and gift ever. Thank you all for your support and keep loving your babies!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: We made it! (Now can I relax a bit?)

I do think you can just relax now. Just out of curiosity, though, how do you come to the estimation that she'd be getting 10-15oz a day of breastmilk? When was the last time she was weighed before and after a nursing session? Is it possible that as she's gotten older she's gotten more efficient at the breast?

To answer your overall question, though, I do think you can just relax now. You've done an AMAZING job of giving the best to your baby. Congrats at making it to a year and to your little girl!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

CONGRATS yes just relax and enjoy your LO! Oh, my DD also lifts my shirt when she wants to nurse. She lifts my shirt and yells, "mmmmmMMMMMMmmmmm" so funny!

Happy birthday to your baby girl!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    I do think you can just relax now. Just out of curiosity, though, how do you come to the estimation that she'd be getting 10-15oz a day of breastmilk? When was the last time she was weighed before and after a nursing session? Is it possible that as she's gotten older she's gotten more efficient at the breast?

To answer your overall question, though, I do think you can just relax now. You've done an AMAZING job of giving the best to your baby. Congrats at making it to a year and to your little girl!
    Thank you, well, I know for sure she gets 5-6 oz of pumped milk a day and many of her throughout day nursing sessions are pretty short and I don't think she gets very much. I am making a little less milk than I used to, I think, because I am pumping a little less at work. The last time I weighed before/after nursing session was the end of March and she got 50 ccs one day and 30 the next day (both for a mid-morning session). She eats quite a few solids so I don't know how much she's really filling up on milk although I make sure to nurse her before meals.

The most milk I ever made was 30 oz but usually closer to 24-26 (I borrowed a scale for 2-3 months from my LCs) then in October I returned the scale and have not weighed her many times since. I can weigh her tomorrow at my bf support group but she is so distracted there I get discouraged when it's 25 ccs for an hour of off and on nursing.

Wow, congratulations to your family. Your post on getting through the hardships should be in the Nexborn Challenges section I thnk, to inspire all the mamas who are suddenly faced with endless hours in the nursing chair!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Congrats on making it to a year and happy birthday to your lo. Your story brought tears to my eyes thank you for sharing. Relax and enjoy nursing a toddler.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Thank you all, I appreciate the encouragement. It has been worth it and I'm glad we did it, but next time I get pregnant I will be praying for that baby to nurse like a champ from birth.

And now she is 3 years old today and still loves to nurse. So thankful for all of you ladies here.

Krystine,
    thanks for sharing this and updating us. I have tears in my eyes!
    You are a beacon of hope for moms who are lost in the darkness of conflicting advice.
    You rock!!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair