Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to ask the surgeon?!

Default What to ask the surgeon?!

Hi there!

New to posting on this board and not sure if i'm in the right place... i've checked it out a few time for other questions but i was sent here from another board i belong to!

Anyway, here is my question....

I have an appointment with a surgeon on wednesday and wondering if anyone can help me with some questions i can ask him in regards to me still EBF'ing. It will just be minor surgery on my wrist but i don't know what to ask or say other than "If anything done or given to me will effect BF."
    I have enough stored BM in the freezer to last 2weeks but of course i would rather not pump and dump due to meds or anesthesia.

Anyone Been there Done that with surgery or just have an idea of what i should cover when i go in for the appointment this week?!

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: What to ask the surgeon?!

You should mention to your surgeon that you are EBFing. When the hospital calls you to do your preadmission paperwork have them make a note that you are bfing as well. Then when you get to surgery talk to your anesthesiologist. I have had 2 surgeries while nursing and i only had to pump and dump once. They can give you only fast acting meds that won't hurt the baby. I declined pain meds as well but you don't have to. Morphine, vicodin and many other meds are fine to take. I just don't like the way pain meds make me feel so I didn't take anything except tylenol and zophran for the nausea (I had an open appendectomy and my gall bladder removed within a month of giving birth to ds3)
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I haven't had to deal with this, but I know a lot of moms on here have. There is some good information here
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thanks for that info... I'll check out the link as well!

I had to have surgery while I was nursing, and the anesthesiologist was great--he was very well-informed, and reassured me that I didn't have to pump and dump at all unless for some reason I just wanted to. He said that by the time the general had worn off enough for me to feel somewhat awake, it would also be enough for me to nurse.

Good luck--I hope you have a quick recovery!

I've heard others say that but I think in my case they wanted me to pump and dump once for hospital protocol. I was so full by the time surgery was over I felt I had to pump before I could feed my baby anyway. He was still very young. Now if he had been older I probably wouldn't have. The surgeon actually let me wear a bra with nursing pads during surgery because I was still spraying milk everywhere every 15 minutes. LOL
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I had surgery twice while BF - I got a list of meds given and checked them for safety while BF'ing - all was good. I nursed after surgery.

ETA. My DD was older, though - over 1 year.