Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did your LO start eating solids?

Default When did your LO start eating solids?

I'm a firm believer in waiting until my son is ready. He's 7 months and not interested unless he's eating what I'm eating. He'll bite off my apples and bananas but will only play with it if I cut pieces off. I'm not in any rush and never force him, I'm just curious about when your LO started to get into foods.
    Aedan's mommy since 12/09
    Let me get up on my I'm a , ,,, , milk donating, attachment parenting mama! And we wouldn't have it any other way!

Default Re: When did your LO start eating solids?

My first started at about 10 months. However she didn't really get into it (only a few bites a day, some days nothing) until 15 months.

My second didn't eat any solids until a week after she turned 1. I did offer starting around 9 months, since I prefer to give non pureed foods. I did also then try purees thinking that might help.

She is now 18 months and still is not eating a lot for her age, but she is eating. She typically eats a few bites about 5 times a day, but some days less and the odd day nothing. I'm not concerned. She is still nursing a lot and healthy and growing well.

From talking to other moms, it seems that many kids aren't that ready for solids until around 8-10 months on average, it seems.

Check out links on baby led solids, it might be something you want to try. It sounds like your son is already doing that.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

It's normal for babies to prefer the food on their mom's plate. *I* wouldn't take it as a sign that he isn't ready for solids, but that's just me. Are you doing baby led solids?

Both my girls started at 6 months but were pretty slow at first. By 9 months we were at three "meals" a day...moreso with this baby because I offer when we are eating.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

ds1 8 months
    ds2 11 months (he was 5 weeks premature)
    ds3 8 months almost 9 months
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Both babies we did BLS starting soon after 6 mo old (both were showing signs of readiness).

#1 - explored food but didn't really eat until he was 8.5 or 9 mo old

#2 - dove head first into eating with lots of enthusiasm

#1 is almost 4 and STILL prefers the food on my plate, even when it is the EXACT SAME THING
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

4 mos but not really until 5.5 mos. I wouldn't recommend starting that early normally but I had low supply and was trying to avoid formula supplementation (which we achieved). As long as my next babies are doing fine with nursing I"d hold off until 6-8 mos.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

4 months and 4.5 months. The first was a desperate grab at not giving formula. It only delayed it. The second was just ready at that age. I like the concept of watching the baby not the clock or the calander.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

DD started at 4.5 months and between eating purees and stealinf my food, ate A LOT. She still does.

DS1 and DS2 are preemies (7 weeks early) and we are just now slowly starting solids. DS1 will eat cereal depending on his mood (and I don't offer him daily since he clearly isn't ready). DS2 (my smaller one) will eat an entire bowl of cereal if I let him. He LOVES food. And both boys stole a sweet potato fry from me and were sucking on them earlier. Go figure.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Around 9-10 months? Before that he would just gag and spit up the food. Even now (almost 1 year old), he still doesn't eat a lot, and only recently (last few weeks) started getting more interested in it.

I started offering at about 6.5 months. Lo wasn't very interested until after 7 months. She started daycare at 8 months an started getting really interested then. I think it had a lot to do with seeing the other babies eating.
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.