Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Premarin Vaginal Cream and Breastfeeding

Default Premarin Vaginal Cream and Breastfeeding

My LO labia has fused and the pediatrician says that this is fairly common. She prescribed Premarin for my daughter which is a conjugated estrogens cream. I was wondering if any of you other mothers had daughter's with this problem and whether applying this cream impacted your milk production. I was reading that it could impact when nursing. I am also a little concerned about applying to my daughter since she is only 2 months old and just wanted to hear if anyone else had to use this on their LO when they were this young.

Thanks for the advice.

Default Re: Premarin Vaginal Cream and Breastfeeding

You are applying it to the baby, right? I don't think that would have anything to do with YOUR milk production. I think what you were reading meant it might affect your supply if YOU were using it, on yourself. It's a common cream for menopausal women.

I haven't had experience with this but I do remember reading about it when my daughter was young. Good luck with the treatment!
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!

As long as you're not touching it, it won't impact your milk production. So, if you want to be on the safe side, apply it using a glove. That way there's no chance that it will get absorbed through your skin.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi, just posting to say it's normal according to what I read in 'The Baby Book' and Dr Sears advises preventing it by gently separating and cleaning the labia when changing nappies. Estrogen cream is the usual remedy once it's begun, and at two years LO will be producing her own estrogen to keep it separated. If you're second-guessing your pediatrician, what about getting a second opinion?
    You could try applying it with a soft cloth which might be easier to wield than gloves. Ask your doc if it will affect your milk production.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Thank you for the advice, I will try with a glove. Bxlgirl thank you for reassuring me it is normal too, even though the pediatrician said it was, I was looking to find it in print to feel better and hadn't been able to, but seeing your post makes me feel much better. My first baby and I worry about everything....I just want the best for her.

I applied it with a cotton swab to make sure it only got on the affected area. It is meant to be absorbed through vaginal tissues which are very different than the skin on your hands so even if you did apply it with an uncovered finger the odds of it having any affect on you are incredibly small. My main concern was that my daughter would absorb too much of it, but that's really unlikely since you only need to use it for such a short time and in a small amount.