Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extremely sore Montgomery glands

Default Extremely sore Montgomery glands

The Montgomery glands on the side of my breast which correspond to my son's bottom jaw when he's latched have become very sore to the touch. The surrounding skin seems fine, it's just the bumps of the glands. I only rinse them with water and avoid getting soap on them when I shower, so I don't think they're dried out.

Has anyone a clue as to what might be causing this? I try latching him away from them, but then that usually causes him to be too close to the nipple.
    Last edited by celynen; February 18th, 2006 at 02:23 AM.

Default Re: Extremely sore Montgomery glands

I'm not sure what could be causing that as I have not had the same problem, but I looked around on the internet and discovered that those glands are responsible for secreting a substance that lubricates and protects the area around the nipple from bacteria. (http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...48dw-p,00.html) I also know that the area that corresponds with the baby's bottom jaw is the area that get's sucked the hardest. So maybe what's going on is the Montgomery glands in that area are being sucked so hard that they're having a hard time doing their job. Maybe try using a different position each feed. Try the cradle hold one time and the football hold the next...this will put his jaw in different positions and you can rotate the two and see if this helps. Let me know if this works! Oh, and to help with discomfort you could try rubbing Lanolin cream on your nipple and areola...the nice thing about this stuff is you don't have to rub it off when you nurse, it's ok for the baby. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by celynen
    The Montgomery glands on the side of my breast which correspond to my son's bottom jaw when he's latched have become very sore to the touch. . . .I try latching him away from them, but then that usually causes him to be too close to the nipple.

Hi Celynen!
    Ouch! I have a few questions for you. Hopefully we can get this figured out!

I'm a little confused by your statement above. It sounds like you are using an assymetrical latch? Does it hurt while he's nursing? Is it possible that he's latching too far to the one side and kind of giving you a "rasberry" while nursing? Are the glands swollen or oozing at all?

I know I've thrown a ton of questions at you here! Drop me a post when you have a minute and we'll see if we can figure out what's going on!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I generally use a cradle hold with an asymetrical latch (he gets most of my areola on one side of the nipple and just a bit of the other side... about an inch's width, I'd guess). It's of course the greater area where the glands are irritated. The ones on the other side are fine. The area where he attaches does look a bit red once he delatches, but isn't speckled like a raspberry or hickey that I've noticed. I had surgery the other day and had to pump enough EBM to last him 24 hours, and even the pump action made the glands sore (perhaps even more sore actually). The glands do seem a little swollen and some of them have turns whitish.

It does hurt sometimes when he's nursing, but it hurts all day as well. It's a sharp pain when touched or clothes brush against them. I've not noticed them oozing though.

As for crosswalk's question -- I do tend to apply lanolin about once a day, but generally the areola's and nipples seem to stay lubricated well enough without it.

Hi there!

A few more questions, sorry!

When did you first notice the soreness? You said they hurt when clothing touches them and throughout the day. Is it just the Montgomery Glands?

Were you given any antibiotics with your surgery?

Thanks!

This particular soreness started about 3 days ago. And today I noticed that some of the most sore ones have turned white and are looking like little pimples. Maybe the glands are clogged?

I wasn't given antibiotics during labor or during my surgery, but I do have thrush which, after suffering through for 4 weeks, I started treating a week ago with acidophilus and vinegar rinses and then yesterday with the over-the-counter version of the All Purpose Ointment. Thus far, the ointment hasn't made any difference to the pain in the glands. If anything, it's now more noticable as the rest of the area has stopped burning.

Yes, this could be related to the Thrush you have been dealing with. Pats on the back to you for nursing for this long with Thrush! I know from experience that it can be painful!

I would suggest seeing your physician about this new pain. Or get in touch with an IBCLC. They may be able to help you sort it out. There are so many different ways to treat thrush. When one doesn't seem to help, many moms will try others. Let us know if you would like more info.

Good luck to you!

Agreed, sharp pains, pain when clothes touch, and white spots seem consistent with thrush. I would definitely have this looked at by a HCP. Also check your baby's mouth for white patches, and his diaper area for a raw red rash. Typically mothers and babies need to be treated together to prevent a recurrence.