Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More solid solids??? (Long)

Default More solid solids??? (Long)

Question: At what point can I introduce more solid solids? And I'm talking about uncooked vegetables or harder fruit, stuff that doesn't just mush when it gets in my baby's mouth. I'd also like to know when to give my daughter shredded chicken or beef instead of pureeing it.

My daughter basically knows how to chew, but sometimes she'll only chew on something once or twice, then swallow it down. I'm really afraid of her doing that with something more solid, but I wonder, if I don't start letting her feed herself more, how will she learn? I'm not in any rush to have her eating like an adult, but I want to be sure I'm not holding her back at some point.

This topic has actually really stressed me out. It's hard to not feel like I'm reinventing the wheel. I don't have a mother I can talk to about these things (she died when I was sixteen). I have a (half) sister who is 17 years older than me, with five kids between the ages of nine and 25, but she is terminally ill with breast cancer and just trying to enjoy what time she has left, so I don't want to bother her with questions about raising a child. None of my friends have had kids yet, and I'm not comfortable talking to my in-laws (they take things personally if I don't follow their advice, so I just don't ask). It's really hard sometimes to not feel completely incompetent. Plus, having lost my mother, and now losing my sister (who is the last tie to my mom), I deal with a lot of anxiety about keeping myself safe as well as my daughter. Which brings me back to the question about solids...

I just haven't found any good reading materials about how to introduce solids (beyond which foods a baby can eat and very general guidelines about introducing them), and I don't want to hold my daughter back from anything just because emotionally it may be difficult for me to go forward. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: More solid solids??? (Long)

Try reading this:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/finger-foods.html

from here
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

You may be surprised at how early you can start giving finger foods. In fact a lot of people skip purees all together and take the baby led weaning or baby led solids approach.

How old is your baby?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My baby is nine months old.

I have been feeding her some puff snacks (the sort rice-cake-like snacks), as well as steamed veggies and soft fruits. When I cook her food for her, I don't puree it into a mush anymore. I might mash it up a bit (depending on what it is), but I make sure to leave it at least semi-solid. I'll take a look at the links.

Thank you!
    Last edited by @llli*nheh; July 19th, 2010 at 08:51 AM.

my dd is 10 months and I feed her apples, carrots, broccoli, crackers.. all uncooked! I am sure there are more but I can't think! anyway she can't bite off any carrot yet.. she mushes on the apple and eats the broccoli, and sucks the cracker soft... my dh is always worried about chocking but she has only chocked once and it was on bark.....
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laurak View Post
    mmy dh is always worried about chocking but she has only chocked once and it was on bark.....
    Yep, we did baby-led weaning as well and DD has only seriously choked once: on water from her sippy cup.

Do your babies have teeth? Mine has five already (two on the bottom, three on top), so she can chew pieces off of things, which is partly why I worry. I didn't expect her to get so many teeth so fast (they all came in at once), so I thought I would have more time to have her practice eating before she really had the tools to take bites. I know I should just suck it up and branch out with the foods that I give her to feed herself.

My lo is almost 10 mths and has 4 teeth. We do bls and she has had all kinds of raw as well as cooked veggies and fruits. She hasn't had raw carrots, but has had apples, pears, peppers, zucchini, cucumber all raw. She has had shredded as well as ground meats and I have never actually purred meat for her. I always watch her very carefully and she has never choked. She also really likes beans like kidney beans, chick peas and the like.

Hope that helps!
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.