Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch Ouch Ouch!

Unhappy Ouch Ouch Ouch!

Hello all! I am on here trying to find a little information for my wife. Our second daughter (Libby) is 4 days old and man is my wife in pain. Our first daughter (Taylor) never really took to breastfeeding, so we didn't have much experience with it. I have read that breastfeeding is supposed to be somewhat painful in the beginning, but this isn't the kind of answer my wife likes Her breasts have become seriously engorged...we have been feeding just about every three hours, she has also pumped a few times to have backup overnight just in case is was too painful (which it has been). But the just keep getting bigger and more hard. She says they're sore all the time, but it is almost unbearable along the outside edge in particular while feeding. I know thats a lot of information, and I'm sorry if I'm rambling...I'm just not sure what to do!!!

~Vince

Default Re: Ouch Ouch Ouch!

Okay-engorgement- the more she nurses the baby, the faster it will go away- rather than every 3 hours, up that to every 2 hours, or even every 1.5 hours if it's really bad. Pumping can help relieve some of the pressure as well. Warm showers, compresses, and tylenol can help relieve some of the pain. Her body will begin to regulate itself within a few days, and the pain should significantly lessen, although the breasts may be tender for awhile.

For me, the tenderness lasted a few wekks-basically had to be careful huggind, etc, cause they were just very tender-not sore, but tender. I found that nursing my daughter more helped a lot to relieve the engorgement.

Congrats on your baby, and I hope that some of this advice helps!!!!

What a great, supportive husband you are for coming here to get your wife some advice and relief. Congratulations on your new little one!

I second the previous poster's recommendations to nurse more often. I nursed my baby every hour for the first few weeks ... sometimes even more often than that. Every three hours seems awfully long for a newborn. I would avoid pumping, since her body is going to be establishing her milk supply right now and adding pumping to the mix may signal her body to produce more milk than she needs to produce for your baby.

Here are some wonderful resources with more information on relieving engorgement and what to expect:

My breasts feel extremely full and uncomfortable. What is happening and what can I do about it?

Engorgement

The good news is that, yes, it is very temporary and relief is right around the corner for her! Good luck to you three!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

The pain that she is feeling around the outside while she is nursing might be a strong letdown. Even after 8 months, mine still borders on painful if my breasts are engorged. Also, don't hesitate to find and call a LLL. Just talking to someone in the early weeks for some personal reassurance and tips can make all the difference. Hang in there!

It's always great when Dads seek advice for Mom and baby. Congratulations on the new baby. I agree with the pp about stopping pumping and nursing more. You may have to wake your little one. You mentioned pumping for the night feedings. This is not good for several reasons. One is nipple confusion. This link tells what that is. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022400.asp The other is it helps to establish supply to nurse through the night and unless she is pumping every two hours all night, she is making the problem worse. She needs to keep the milk flowing to avoid mastitis and plugged ducts. Here is a link on that.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    I hope that is not too overwelming. Apply the hot compresses/showers, take a pain reliever, rest, and nurse frequently. There is pain in the first weeks, but it is so worth it to stick with it. She will be glad she did. Good luck.

I think it's a super idea for you to contact a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer. And if your wife needs some help in person, they can really be a great support when they can actually see the mom and baby in person.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Let us know how things progress for you. Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you so much guys! We're going to try pumping every two hours and bottle feeding I think. She says it's just too painful. We're just worried that the milk will start to dry up if the baby isn't actually feeding. I think we'll try and contact a LLL leader as well. We'll try and keep you updated. Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytree83 View Post
    Thank you so much guys! We're going to try pumping every two hours and bottle feeding I think. She says it's just too painful. We're just worried that the milk will start to dry up if the baby isn't actually feeding. I think we'll try and contact a LLL leader as well. We'll try and keep you updated. Thanks again!!
    A very friendly warning ... I would caution strongly against using both a bottle (babies this young can easily start developing a preference for the bottle, and may be difficult to get back to the breast. LLL doesn't recommend introducing a bottle until at least the 4 week mark) and I would also suggest not pumping a lot (it can create an oversupply, which will leave your wife engorged a lot longer). Also, your baby can remove milk from the breast a lot more efficiently than any pump ever could. It's a difficult time the first couple weeks, but it does get dramatically better if she can tough it out.

I agree with pp's Friendly warning about pumping. Your wife's body is learning how much milk your LO needs, and if she pumps, she's giving her body a signal that isn't natural right now. That message may be "hey, make MORE milk" which then makes boobs even MORE SORE!!! Not to scare you, just a bodily fact.

I remember having huge boobs at the beginning- it hurt so badly! It seemed like they were going to explode and send milk across the whole house sometimes! But what I would do is take warm showers and do a little, tiny bit of manual expression while in the shower. Just enough to relieve a little bit of the pain. Again, too much monkeying with your boobs in the beginning can send your body the wrong message, so even manual expression needs to be minimal.

You are AWESOME for checking in like this for your wife! Congrats on your new baby!

Congratulations on your little one! It is so great that you are so supportive of your wife and her and LO's BF relationship! Support & encouragement can make all the difference!

I also agree with pp about not pumping right now...engorgement is awful, but it will pass...just make sure she is nursing nursing nursing. Is the pain also while she is feeding? She may need help with the latch because an improper latch can make all the difference. I really struggled with that when my milk came in and something called Reverse Pressure Softening REALLY helped me. I would do this before I nursed... http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html
    This honestly saved me!! Good luck and congratulations again!