Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: prednisone and bf'ing

Default prednisone and bf'ing

does anyone know if I can take prednisone for my asthma while I am bf'ing? I have a horrilbe cold that is moving into my lungs which is triggering my asthma. TIA

Timber101

Default Re: prednisone and bf'ing

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...oved-meds.html

This site has a bunch of medications on it...check there, I think prednisone is listed under steroids...

HTH
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

I haven't taken prednizone, but did have to use a topical steroid and I noticed a dip in supply. You probably won't even notice unless you are pumping or have supply problems though. Other than that...def. check out the kellymom site!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I took a whole lot of prednisone on an emergency basis when DS was around a year old for a severe asthma attack. I didn't notice any effects on me or him . . . other than that I could breathe, lol.

I tend to have a severe oversupply, so that might be a difference.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had to take prednisone when DD was just a few days old. I ended up back at the hospital, in the ER, within hours of bringing the baby home from the hospital. This was as a result of a very severe allegeric reaction that coincided with my milk coming in. (This might very well have been a reaction to lactation-related hormones, but it remains a controversy among my various medical care providers, and it is an interesting story that I should probably write a post about some day....)

The ER doctors did explain to me that prednisone is designated as a drug for which "risk cannot be ruled out," in regard to breastfeeding mothers and infants. It is, however, approved for use, and we had no noticeable problems with it. Again, this was only days into breastfeeding for me, so any supply issues would not have been detectable. I was really more concerned with the trace amounts of the drug that would be passed to the baby. The severity of my situation, and the absence of any alternatives, led me to accept the predisone. Again, I never noticed any problems.

Best of luck. Hope that you are feeling better soon!

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!