Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help with stinky green poop

Default Please help with stinky green poop

I’ve been reading about oversupply and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and a lot of what I’ve read feels familiar, but not everything. I could really use some advice and insight and just moral support!

My baby is six, almost seven weeks old. The pregnancy and birth were healthy and uneventful and I had no drugs during labor. She nursed about 30 minutes after birth and had a good latch, and we have had no problems with that. She is a champion eater. However, for the past three weeks she has had green poop and painful gas.

My doctor suggested that I cut out dairy and I’ve been doing so for about nine days. However, think the problem may be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, so for the past five days I have been nursing her on one side at a time, only giving the other breast after 2+ hours have elapsed. I confess I was expecting this to address the problem right away and I feel discouraged that it hasn’t. Yesterday she did have one poop that was more yellow than green, but this morning we’re back to the same old messy green bowel movements and lots of crying passing them.

Here are the basics.

Her:
    -Feeds every 2-3 hours (at night more like 3-4 hours). Since I’ve been nursing on just one side, she sometimes wants to nurse a second time on the same breast within the 2-3 hour timeframe
    -Baby does not fight the breast or choke
    -Gassy
    -Straining, waving her arms and crying from gas/when trying to pass poop
    -Green green green, stinky, very liquidy or mucousy, high volume poops for the past almost three weeks. Prior to that she had normal mustardy seedy poops .
    -Poop seems frequent though I haven’t logged it… I feel like I change diapers constantly…probably 15 times a day but that’s also because she hates having a wet diaper.
    -Rarely spits up – maybe a few times a week, and not much when she does
    -Big weight gain – she was 7 lb 3 oz at birth and after five weeks was 10 pounds. I haven’t weighed her in more than a week but she looks huge to me.

Me:
    -Feed on demand
    -Not pumping at all
    -Breasts do get soft after a long feeding (I have been reading about others whose breasts remain hard)
    -No leaking inbetween feedings
    -Only sprayed a couple of times when she came off unexpectedly and it wasn’t all that dramatic

Does anyone have any advice? She is normally such a happy, smiling baby. Her squished up crying face and pained arm waving make me so sad! Thank you for any help you can offer.

Default Re: Please help with stinky green poop

Congratulations on the new baby!

My doctor suggested that I cut out dairy and I’ve been doing so for about nine days.
    Have you cut out the dairy, all of it, or just cut down on it? There's a lot of hidden dairy in the foods we eat, particularly processed foods. There's whey and milk powder in bread, in cereals, even in things like cold cuts. If you have cut out all dairy, I would keep at it: it can take several weeks for all the dairy protein to leave your system.

Yesterday she did have one poop that was more yellow than green, but this morning we’re back to the same old messy green bowel movements and lots of crying passing them.
    If the problem is a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, which is usually a result of oversupply, you are addressing it the right way. Seeing a yellowish poop is encouraging, but if you do have oversupply it can take a while to correct the problem, in which case you're probably not going to go right to perfect, mustard-colored poops. You're going to see a lot of green as the problem gets solved.

Nothing in your lists jumps out at me as definitely indicative of either oversupply or dairy intolerance. But the fact that your baby doesn't choke/cough/splutter while nursing, and that you don't see milk streaming out makes me think that if you do have oversupply, this isn't the worst case in the world. I hope that's an encouraging thought!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here is a link for a visual poop guide: http://www.babycenter.com/baby-poop-...8:2&pe=2UyyX9I

It sounds like you have the following though and may need to call the pediatrician....

Poop with mucus

Does your baby's diaper look like it's been slimed? Greenish poop streaked with shiny, glistening strings means there's mucus in it. This sometimes happens when a baby is especially drooly, since mucus in saliva often goes undigested.

But mucus in poop is also a telltale sign of an infection or allergy. If it's accompanied by any other symptoms or shows up in your baby's diaper for two days or more, call the doctor to rule out any problems.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I have cut down on most of the dairy as I have been eating bread and things like that that must contain trace amounts of dairy. I don't really eat processed food so thinking about it, bread must be about it.

The pediatrician has seen the green poop live and in person and she suggested that I cut out dairy. She said the color could also be caused by fore/hind milk imbalance but doubted it since the baby has gained so much weight. But from my reading that's not necessarily true? The baby is over 11 pounds now, at 7 weeks!

It's not as mucousy as the photo in that link (helpful link by the way!), at this point it's seedy but green, not mustardy. It does sometimes have mucous, sometimes not. The baby seems to have less gas and discomfort, but the poop is still very green. It's not as gross as it was last week though.

I don't know what to think. I've been nursing only on one side at a time for six days now. My milk supply seems different (no serious engorgement between feedings) but it hasn't fixed her poop and she seems hungrier than ever. I'm discouraged.

I would keep up with eliminating dairy part of your diet. When I found out I was lactose intolerant it took me a good 2 weeks for my own stools to turn normal so I imagine it will take your LO just as long to have clearer stools. Just keep on going with the dairy free diet for a few more weeks and if the stools don't clear up, then contact pediatrian again. Keep up the good work!

Oh I forgot to say...trust yourself...if you think you should be offering both sides, you should be offering both. No one knows your baby better than you, if you say she is still hungry, she is still hungry. GO FOR IT!

Giving your LO a probiotic can be helpful. Just make certain that it is also dairy free.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97