Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Borderline engorged

Default Borderline engorged

My LO will pretty much sleep thru the night now {once asleep} if she sleeps in her crib [7 hours] and if she co-sleeps then maybe 1 or 2 short feedings during the night.

In either case, I wake up in the mornings quite full {borderline engorged} not rock hard as when I had masitis {she was 2 days old}

I don't want to have supply issue from it or infection again..Suggestions??
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Default Re: Borderline engorged

How long has your baby been sleeping through the night? Your body should get used to the long stretch and regulate how much milk it makes, so that you will not become engorged any longer. My daughter has been sleeping through the night for 2-3 months and eventually I stopped getting engorged - although I feel I should warn you that sometimes I do still get engorged in the morning when she has had a particularly busy feeding day and my body has tried to make up for. It only happens for a couple of days though. I can certainly understand your fears, especially since you have gone through so much, but remember, if you pump that could only prolong your discomfort and make matters worse. Try warm compresses before the first nursing session to make sure nothing is getting blocked up and it may make them feel better if the engorgement is uncomfortable.

Good luck and congratulations on a sleeping baby!

kst7399

She has been sleeping thru the night for a 2-2.5 mo. I would like to build up freezer stash [date night, etc] but only a couple of times/day. when I pump I aim to do so after she ate. What do you suggest about the pumping??
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

I would say pick one time a day, say after she goes to bed and before you do, and do it every night. That way you aren't increasing your supply too much to affect her nursing and you are creating a permanent supply for your body - meaning your body will anticipate that pump as if it were a regular feeding. Just be careful not to over pump, that could create an oversupply and then you will surely be engorged. I probably wouldn't even pump a full feeding, but only a few ounces (maybe 2) since you won't be gone every day and can combine pumps for when you do go out. And pumping can be addictive! Hope that helps.