Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Calculator

Default Milk Calculator

Does anybody know how reliable the milk calculator's are {like from kellymom.com} I know of course it is just an est and based on the actual baby but hubby thinks that she would need 6+ oz if given in a bottle

He also asked the question, "what's the ratio of pumping vs amt baby gets" {i.e. if I pump 2 oz how much would she get} he can be so frustrating as he lacks what's best for her for easy
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Default Re: Milk Calculator

I'm not sure I understand the question exactly, but perhaps I can offer a bit of advice. Your main concern should not be how many ounces your baby is eating, but if they are gaining well, having the right amount of wet and soiled diapers and (in my opinion, most importantly ) is happy. Now if you are asking how much milk to put into a bottle? Then I would say it will start off as a trial and error thing. According to the "charts", my daughter should be having about 6 ounces in a bottle, but in reality she only has about 3 ounces. We know that now, so we don't defrost more and we don't waste. She's growing well (more than the Pediatrician has anticipated) and is happy when she is done eating. I say start with 4 ounces and if your baby wants more, give it to him/her. Let the baby decide how much he/she wants to eat. Does that help?

Default Re: Milk Calculator

Yes that does help. I should have stated question more clearly. I wanted to know how much I should est for a feeding thru bottle.. I know that in a bottle she would eat differently as the flow would change that [when compared to a direct feeding]..Just didn't want to thaw more than needed and waste what she didn't need. 4 oz sounds like a good starting point and will have to see how much she needs.
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old