Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should we be cautious about dairy?

Default Should we be cautious about dairy?

When DS2 was small he seemed to be sensitive to dairy in my diet. I cut it out and then gradually added it back in starting at 6 months. He doesn't seem bothered by it anymore. He does still seem to have some reflux but that has improved.

Do we need to be cautious about introducing dairy since he seemed sensitive to it before? I've given him some shredded sharp cheddar and he didn't really get any in his mouth. I was thinking about giving him some whole milk yogurt. He is 8.5 months.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Should we be cautious about dairy?

Did you suspect allergy or intolerance?

What were previous reactions / symptoms?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: Should we be cautious about dairy?

Wow, I almost forgot I started this thread.

We suspected an intolerance rather than an allergy. He would just be really fussy after eating it. I think it might have been related to reflux and made his reflux symptoms worse. He had some green poop and redness around the anus, but it was hard to tell if maybe that was related to OS/OALD or if it was diet related. Since I've added dairy back in his poop is perfectly normal and he seems fine with it in my diet. Honestly, it was a bit hard to tell what was going on with him because of all the various things going on all at once when he was a newborn, so I wasn't sure if the dairy problem was real or imagined, but it seemed to help when I cut it out, and when I tried to add it back once or twice he had some bad days.

We don't have a strong history of allergies in our family, DH has Celiac and DS1 reacted to wheat with a rash when he was an infant but has tested neg for allergies and Celaic so far.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine