Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not biting but clamping down

Default Not biting but clamping down

In the past, whenever DD was teething, we'd go through a few days of biting during nursing, but I was always able to correct the problem. Well, DD is 20 months old and lately, though not every time, she is clamping down on and leaving teeth marks on my nipple, and this has been going on for weeks now. I tell her "ouch" and "no biting," and I make her say "ah" and try to deepen the latch, but these tactics aren't working this time around. Can anyone please reassure me that the problem will resolve eventually?! Or do I have to be more mean about the issue (I really don't want to go back to the days of putting her down and walking away every time she bites--especially when it's first thing in the morning and I'm still half asleep in bed!).

Default Re: Not biting but clamping down

At the risk of making my baby sound like a sociopath, she just doesn't care whether she's hurting someone. Like if she's pulling on the dog's hair, and I can't get her to let go, I'll tell her repeatedly "That hurts, Edward. Please don't hurt him," but she only pulls harder and harder in response. When she's chomping down on my nipple, sometimes when I say "Ouch," she will stop and go, "Ahhh," because that's how I got her to adjust her latch in the past, but the minute her mouth closes over my nipple, her teeth sink in once again.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sobamom View Post
    (I really don't want to go back to the days of putting her down and walking away every time she bites--especially when it's first thing in the morning and I'm still half asleep in bed!).
    I hate to say it, but I think the above is probably the way to deal with this issue.

Getting bit stinks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, ladies. Will start getting more firm about this. She is getting SO stubborn, though, at this age. I wonder how much of a battle I'm in for!