Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help! I am injured!

Default Help! I am injured!

I was nursing E on the couch tonight and she was horsing around nursing upside down and sitting back down and upside down again and she fell while latched on.

Now I have a huge gaping puncture wound in my top right nipple. It hurt so bad I had to leave the room to walk it off. And of course it's her favorite side. She's been nursing less and less it seems on the left. It still
    hurts so very bad.

I soaked it in hot water and Epsom salt. I have no idea if that does anything but it seemed like a good idea. And I put lanolin on my nipple.

What else can I do?? And how do I handle the pain of nursing? She is nursing right now, but latching on was horrible.

And DH didn't help. He said, "it's time to wean." it's probably a whole other thread, but he's made a few little comments here recently along those lines.

Default Re: Help! I am injured!

Oh my god, that sounds painful . I know it might be a bit of a battle, but I would definitely recommend you stop nursing on that side for a while, especially if the gash is quite wide. If she keeps nursing on the wound, it will take a longer time to heal and might even get infected. Maybe squirt breast milk on it, to help with the healing?

I hope you get better soon!

Oh, honey!!! Noooo!!!!

First bop your DH upside the head. It won't help your nip but it will make the rest of you feel better, and besides, he earned it.

Second, this is what my LC told me to use for a gaping nipple wound caused by a bad latch: a mix of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment. Use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied with a clean finger. The hydocortisone fights inflammation, the Bacitracin fights infection. My LC said it did not have to be wiped off before nursing.

Third, if the puncture scabs over, you want to keep the scab nice and moist because dry scabs tear open more painfully than wet ones. So Lansinoh, keep your air conditioning turned down/off if possible (I swear that the humidity in the air makes a big difference), and try immersing the nip in a shot glass of warm water for about 30-60 seconds before nursing.

Fourth, try starting all nursing sessions on the left for a while. That may make E a little more gentle when she latches on to the right, because she won't be as hungry.

to you Mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ow! I have no advice/experience of dealing with wounds but I agree completely with this!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Oh, honey!!! Noooo!!!!

First bop your DH upside the head. It won't help your nip but it will make the rest of you feel better, and besides, he earned it.

to you Mama!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

that sounds horrible! when I started nursing and had divits in my nipples my doc suggested what mommal posted as well.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Mommal's concoction reminds me of something the local compounding pharmacy makes, and it is triple nipple cream. I think it's Dr.Newman's recipe.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Thanks for the nipple recipe! I was trying to remember how to make it. I think I have the ingredients here. I have been soaking my nipple several times and putting th Lansinoh on it. It is starting to scab up, but was nursed on quite a lot in the night.

This is where toddler nursing is interesting and so different. e picks the side she wants to nurse on and that's that. But she knows and can see my owie. She keeps saying "see owie?" and wants me to band aid it. She is trying to be more gentle and of course there is no twiddling allowed.

It's going to take a while to heal all the way, but I think I'll survive.

Thanks so much for the advice and support! And to DH.

I'm sure it will only be a couple days before it starts feeling better. Don't forget breastmilk on the wound will help too

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Mommal is, as always, wise. And I think she ha been a little feistier when it comes to fools (your DH ) lately. I like it.

I am glad E is being so gentle.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Oh mama. That sounds awful. Hope it heals up soon!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together