Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I producing enough milk?

Unhappy Am I producing enough milk?

After reading over a few artlicles on the LLL website - I do not think I am producing enough milk.

My baby is 5 weeks now and here is what I am faced with. She has been diagnosed with thrush.

Pump after 1 hour of feeding - get nothing.
    Pump after 2 hours of feeding - get 1/2 ounce from Left and 1 ounce from right
    Pump 3 - 4 hrs of feeding - get 1 ounce from Left and 1.5 from right

When she feeds from my Left - she only feeds for 5 minutes and then starts to wimper and cry. She will continue to do this for about 5 minutes before she then begins to naw at my nipple. I will only allow her to do this for a few minutes of trying to get her to latch back on before I take her off. She will scream and cry until she cries herself to sleep.
    She usually eats 10 - 15 minutes off the Right. When she will jerk herself off as if she is done, but when I go to burp her, she will scream and cry at me.
    She has been doing this for about 1 week now. Until then, she would feed fine off of Right - and I allowed her to feed - sometimes up to an hour on each side. She has always had issues with the Left side. I have tired putting diapers filled with hot water on my Left nipple, running warm water on my nipples, apply hot compress to them to make sure all ducts are open, but I still get the same reaction.
    She weighed 6.4 at birth and then 6.2 - 2 weeks after birth. Now at 5 weeks she weighs 7.4
    She feeds every 3 - 4 hours at night (only for 5 - 10 min on each side). Every 3 hours during the day (for 1/2 hour on right side or 5 - 10 on left and 10 on right). She does have a poop diaper with each feeding - sometimes yellow, sometimes green and about 6 wet daipers a day.
    BUT...... I am constantly having to put lip blam on her lips as they are ALWAYS dry - to the point of cracking.
    What is going on? What is wrong? I really want to do this, but am feeling quite frustrated with all of to and ready to give up!
    I can not get to a LLL meeting because I am a SAHM who has 2 sons and 2 step sons to take care of in addition to my new princess. I cannot pump after every feeding due to demands of my other children and their schedules.
    ADVICE? COMMENTS? ANY HELP........................................
    Last edited by mamajenn; February 18th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.

Default Re: Am I producing enough milk?

They way to tell if you producing enough milk is to take a diaper count. I know there is some LLL information on it however I couldn't find it with out my computer freaking out at me so here is a nonLLL approved site that will tell you how to determine if you have enough milk for dd. Hope that helps some.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

Definitely don't judge your production by how much you pump. My now almost 9 MO was 2 months before I could pump more than 1/2 oz at a time. I just didn't respond to the pump at all! But DD gained well (never below 75th% for weight and well over 100% for height!), and though I couldn't believe I could produce enough for her, somehow I did. Count the wet/poopy diapers, that's a much better indicator of what's going in. I also have one "good boob" that produces much more than the other. I hear it's common. I noticed that boob has a stronger let down and she tends to fuss when she gets that side first.

Hang in there!!!

Definitely go by diaper count (and weight gain at doctor visits) and not by pumping. How many wet/poopy diapers does DD have?

It's also normal for DBs to have a preference on which side they nurse on. I think you are supposed to make sure you put DB on the disliked side for at least a few minutes before and after each feeding at the preferred side. Also, try a few different holds for the disliked side, as that can help get DB used to it.

And here are some things that help supply, if it really is a supply issue: fenugreek tablets, More Milk Plus tincture (helped me a lot!), rest (difficult, I know!), oatmeal, and anecdotally, beer and lots of water. There's also a prescription drug called Domperidone that can be prescribed.

Good luck!

hi there
    it souds like she is going through a growth spurt maybe? if she has having that many poops and wet diapers a day it sounds like she is doing well! you could always monitor her weight at her ped"s office or make an appt with a lactation consultant to have her weighed after nursing

as for the cracked lips is it mostly on her top lip? i ask because it"s common for them to get a little nursing blister>my daughter has one too

tiffany

Jenn,
    What type of pump are you using when you pump? Generally speaking, the higher quality the pump the more effective it is. The average woman yields about 2 ounces per pumping session (so that would be after pumping both breasts) so if you are getting that, then you're right where most other women are.

The above posters are correct -- pumping is not a good indication of supply. A baby is always much more effective at getting milk out of the breast than a pump. The other posters are also correct in urging you to look at baby's wet & poopy diaper as in indication of adequate supply. Baby should be having about 6-8 wet diapers per day plus 3-4 quarter-sized poops per day.

You mentioned that this behavior has been going on for about a week. Thrush can cause the behavior that you are describing so perhaps it is thrush that is the culprit.

If I take baby's weight at 2 weeks of age and subtract it from her present weight, she's gained 1.2 pounds in 3 weeks. Babies typically gain between 4-7 ounces per week in their first 4 months of life so your baby is has gained over 5 ounces per week in the last 3 weeks. That is fantastic!

It's possible too that your baby is high needs or perhaps she's just a very efficent nurser and is all business when it comes to the breast? Perhaps she doesn't like the position she's being nursed in? There's a lot of reasons why babies behave the way you describe yours to be behaving. Have you checked out The Happiest Baby on the Block? If not, give it a whirl. I've seen it in action and it's really effective!

Hang in there! You'll get through this! You're doing a great job!