Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just got home from hossie after having emergency surgery

Default Just got home from hossie after having emergency surgery

I had Hubby take me to the hospital at about 3 am monday morning because I was experiencing pain in my chest I had BFed my daughter right before we went in. but as soon as I was seen I was told I had a stone in my gallbladder and would have to have surgery to take it out. Well since I wasn't planning on having surgery or having to stay in the hospital I did not bring my pump with me. Well my sweet Hubby went home to take a nap after I was brought back to my room and when he came back he brought my pump for me but it was still about 19 hours before I pumped but I did pump every three hours after that and still experienced a major drop in my supply. since coming home around 5pm yesterday I have pretty much stayed in bed and nursed my sweet baby girl to get my supply up but is there anything else I could do to help? and when can I expect to start seeing/feeling results? Thank you for your help!

Amy

Default Re: Just got home from hossie after having emergency surgery

Wow, that's a tough few days. I had something similar with kidney stones. Sounds like you're doing everything right - having DD nurse is the best way to increase supply. If you want to try other things, I've had luck with More Milk Plus tincture (available from a natural food store or online), oatmeal everyday, and rest. I'd give it a few days to see results from those things, maybe faster from DD nursing?

And, I hope you don't need to use this info, but for future reference, most hospitals have pumps available for you to use while you're staying there. Sounds like DH was on the ball, though!

Default Re: Just got home from hossie after having emergency surgery

You're doing the best thing you can do! Nursing and resting are the fastest ways to bring your production back up.

You can find more information here:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html

HTH!