Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old projectile vomit after feeding on boob

Default 3 week old projectile vomit after feeding on boob

My daughter is 3 weeks and 3 days old...I was breastfeeding her exclusively to start with, but I really hated it....don't ask me why! I started pumping, so my DH could feed her from a bottle and gradually reduced the amount I was feeding her direct from the boob, so it was only very occasionally.

I started reintroducing more direct boob feeds and less bottles and the past few days any time I feed her on the boob, it's like she overeats and ends up projectile vomiting all over everything...which is just no fun. We burp her frequently, as we do when she's feeding from the bottle, but it seems difficult to get gas out of her when she feeds from the boob (didn't have that problem at the beginning)... She's gaining weight nicely (back to her birth weight within 3/4 days) and when I was feeding her at the beginning she would spend 10 minutes on one boob and then fall asleep, satisfied. Now she seems to spend 5 minutes and has a firm, full tummy, then proceeds to puke some of it back up... My MW suggested she may be an efficient nurser and so she's getting more milk out of the boob in a shorter time and not realising she's full, iykwim?

I'm a bit lost as to what to do. She completely drained my boob earlier and her tummy was packed, so I just lay her next to me to 'chill out' and offered her her pacifier, as she was doing little comfort suckles towards then end of her feed...she continued to whinge a bit and was sucking on her hands like she was still hungry....I tried to burp her again and she puked on me...not a great deal, but I've sat her up in her bouncer in the hope the milk might settle enough and gas come up, so I can give her another burping in a while...without the vomit!

She doesn't have this problem with bottles (she obviously gets stopped once the bottle is empty (we offer another oz if she still seems hungry, totalling no more than 4oz usually before she's satisfied) whereas the boob, she can just keep going on and on) and this is only something she's started doing the past 3 days... Someone suggested reflux, but surely she'd have the same issues with bottles?

Help! I want to go back to feeding her almost exclusively from the boob, but this vomiting is really putting me off and making me nervous about feeds... I'm enjoying breastfeeding again now and I really want to make this work!

Default Re: 3 week old projectile vomit after feeding on boob

you can do it mama!!
    You could have a fast or overactive letdown, I'm not on my computer to get a link, but hopefully someone can provide chime in with a link for you. Block feeding can help control that, it worked wonders for me. My son would projectile too in those early weeks, your supply is still wonky in the beginning as your body adjusts.
    Also, your baby may have gotten used to the bottle and the flow is different from the bottle and breast so she may be taking in more to try and get that faster flow-also, the bottle gets taken away when it's empty, and the breast does not so maybe she just keeps nursing and nursing and nursing thinking it will just stop-does that make sense? So overeating may definitely be the cause
    Just keep putting her to the breast, and I think she will get used to everything in no time. She's still new yet, and breastfeeding for both of you is still a learning process, I bet you'll both be pros in just a few weeks!
    Good luck!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thank you so much!!

I actually just found some info on fast letdown, it suggested trying to feed baby, tummy to tummy, so she is basically on top of my boob - so gravity is against the milk....Well we're trying that and she is eating and eating!!! Her tummy looks like it's going to asplode! The pressure on her tummy from lying face down seems to be helping relieve some gas though! She was guzzling a lot before, but seems less so in this position....

I wonder if she's having a growth spurt because it's only been a couple of hours since she nursed last.....she usually goes AT LEAST 3 hours... It's nice to be nursing on demand again...

YAY! Yes, I'm guessing OALD too. Overactive letdown or oversupply can definitely cause gassiness. You could also have a mild foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Pumping can mask these things because the foremilk and hindmilk get mixed in the bottle. But breastfeeding is SO MUCH EASIER than trying to pump all the time. It's worth it to try to troubleshoot.

Read this site if you haven't already.

In any event, the best thing for OALD and oversupply is time - soon your baby will be big enough to gulp that milk down as fast as you can make it. She'll even be happy about that fast flow!

Keep up the good work!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you!!

I asked in a few places for help before coming on here and no-one else suggested OALD...everyone seemed to think reflux, which just didn't make sense to me I tried out that position (tum to tum) and even though she emptied both my breasts, she didn't even spit up afterwards!! Let alone the repeated vomiting we've been having...!!

I fed her in bed this morning, side by side and she threw up a little bit...so that tum to tum position definitely seemed to help! Whether it's a case of trapped gas/OALD or a combination of things, hopefully we've found a solution for the moment! I'm going to see if I can find something to keep in the house that might help with gassiness and I guess we'll just keep trying positions, to find ones that work for us atm...

Yay!! So glad to hear that this has helped!! That's wonderful news.

Most OALD resolves itself as your baby's gut matures, and she gets better at handling the fast flow and keeping the food down. So you may be amazed to see big improvements in a month or two. (Sorry, I realize I said this in an earlier post. Still, possibly good to keep repeating it! I had big-time OALD, but it became a non-issue around three months, although my flow did not slow down at all.)

Also, some babies just spit up more than others. If they're happy, it's not a big deal. All spitting up is "reflux" but only some kinds of reflux cause problems or discomfort for babies. My friend's baby was a major "puker" (he had to wear a bib all the time!) whereas Joe wasn't too bad and another friend's baby almost never spit up. All three were very happy babies. So some variation is normal. If your baby is not distressed, then "it's a laundry problem, not a medical problem" (as our family doctor put it).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Glad to hear things are better

When my DD has gas I give her gas drops, if it's nothing that I can control, or know of in my diet, that may be causing her to get gassy. I had to eliminate certain foods from my diet because she did have reflux, showed sensitivities to others in addition to my OS/OALD.

Once we did blockfeeding, DD was a lot better, less fussy and had less gas.
    Hang in there mama.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...