Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing Cow's Milk

Default Introducing Cow's Milk

Baby is turning 1 and still breastfeeding 4 times/day, also has a bottle of formula before bed. Would like to introduce cow's milk. He doesn't seem like he is ready to wean and I'm in no hurry. Baby has a sippy cup w/ water in it with his meals and is good w/ the cup. How is the best way to introduce cow's milk?

Default Re: Introducing Cow's Milk

I am not sure, I think some people mix it with formula or breastmilk. I don't plan to give my baby cow's milk until she isn't nursing more than a few times a day (She's turning one next week).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Actually as long as your LO is nursing 3 to 4 times a day they don't really need any other milk.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I just offered it in a sippy cup, cold. As another drink. I introduced it when ds2 was about 20 or 21 months I think. There are days now (he's 28 months) where he will have it three or four times, and days where he has none. He still nurses about 6-8 times in 24 hours.

For us it was in addition to nursing, not replacing it. Same as water but with calories and fat
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet